Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T'm trying to remove the old rag joint and the 2 alignment pins appear to be attached with a pressed in stud. The replacment kit has similar alignment pins that are threaded and attached with a nut.

It looks to me the only answer is to grind off the old pressed in stud so the new one can be installed.

Am I missing something or am I correct?

Rag joint http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/photopost486/data/500/34548PICT0111-med.JPG

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The old one should be threaded, just like the new one. I had to use vise grips to remove the cap off of the old one.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that bad boy is locked on tight. I'll go beat on it some more, I want to try and save the spacers.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Before beating on it, I recommend using a 12-point socket and removing the coupler from the shaft of the steering box so that you don't damage that.

It looks like you have threaded posts, but the threads are wiped out. I suggest heating the coupler with a torch, then using a punch, drive out the posts. Insert the new ones which came with your kit. Alternatively, use a socket on the back side of the coupler over the posts, then use a large C-clamp or vise to press out the posts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts