Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK fella's I was on the way home tonight with my girlfriend and my stang' cut out. I was cruising at about 60 and the engine cut out and I gave a little juice and it came back. Then a few down the road and it did the same thing only this time it totally died. I have had this problem randomly over the past several months and am sort of baffled.

I am fairly sure my fuel system is fine. I have a new gas tank, rebuilt the edelbrock 600 about 5 months ago. I regularly change my fuel filter and I changed it probably a month ago. (this is my daily driver f.y.i.)

Also, I have an older style distributer(non-points) with a mallory hyfire ignition box. The car always starts good. I am thinking maybe this ignition system is on the brink...not sure though.

When i pulled over after it died and put it in park the engine would not click/turn over. The headlights worked and were bright. I figured if it was a fuel problem it would atleast turn over and then die. Finally out of the blue she started right up. On the way home it acted like it was going to cut out a few more times.

ok last words...I have started it up in the morning or after work and driven maybe 5 miles and sitting at a stoplight it has just died and will start right up.

Now time for your thinking!

regards, Nick

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea that could be it. Im a little down about it there is an open house/car show etc... at dallas mustang im hopeing to make it to tommorow.

Im gonna prob need to pull the dist. cap and check things out...hm...

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I had a problem like that on the 70. It turned out that the coil to dizzy wire was just barely too short so that occassionally the wire would pull back from the dist cap, even though the boot was still on the terminal. The engine would cut out then. Substituted a longer wire and the problem went away.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If the engine truly won't turn over(crank), it isn't the ignition. Unless it is the ignition switch. Which would explain why it is doing 2 separate things-dying when running, and not turning over.
If you meant it cranked but didn't fire, then yeah, ignition or fuel.
Or if you have my luck, you have two different things dying at the same time.
Russ

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I am thinking of checking the ignition switch. Why the heck is the 68-9 ignition switch twice the price of the other years!!! I guess thats my luck!!!

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Those switches get a lot of use over the years, and is a good idea to replace anyways. Check the new one carefully for continuity before you install it though. I got a new one and the car didn't run anymore. After a thorough check of ignition system wiring, it turned out to be--- the new switch. Gotta love repro!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...that must have been frustrating. I am going to pull my old one maybe tommorow and clean it and check it out. If it doesnt seem tight and that doesnt help ill just get a new one. At least Ford still makes the 68-69 ignition switch unlike all the other years. Too bad its 3 times as much money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts