Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Coupe
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me price this car for my friend. I had asked you all about it a few months ago, before I had much info, just a few pictures.

Attached is the link to about 70 photos and the info I got on saturday. Please help me put a resonable asking price together.

It seems to be missing some trim and the spare tire and jack.

Thanks

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q217/prossi/65 coupe red/

1965 Mustang Coupe, Professionally Restored.

Selling for a friend. Although not 100% factory correct, this is a show quality car that has been detailed well. It runs, shifts, drives and brakes very well. A great car to drive and enjoy as is. A few minor touches, and the “purists” would be satisfied.

Vin # (original V8 car, detroit built)

289 2V
Power steering (added 10/05 by Hot Rods Unlimited, Clio, MI)
Front Disc Brakes (SSBC, Stainless Steel Brake Corp. brand)
AM/FM cassette radio (no dash cutting)
Auto Trans
Complete new Black Std interior (seat covers, door panels, carpet, fire wall insulation, kick panels, door panels, instrument bezel, head liner, door and window handles,…)

(4) Styled Steel wheels with newer tires (less than 5K miles)

The coupe was purchased in 2002 by the current owner and sent out for restoration. The car has been completely gone through and professionally restored to stock specifications. The original door tag is missing, but the restoration was performed with certain assumptions.

Original color Poppy Red: Professionally stripped, prepped and painted, all rust repaired. The paint is very nice with a smooth bright finish. Panels fit very well.

Professionally installed, complete floors. Under carriage is very clean and shows no sign of rust in frame rails or rockers.

Original C-code 289 2V, rebuilt and restored with correct marked hoses, wires, clamps, etc.

Original Glass (except windshield) in very good condition.

All new or refinished chrome and trim pieces.

Asking price $??,???.00

Located in Fenton, MI, 48430

Contact [email protected] with any questions.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
My suggestion is as I just did on my '66. Get a good appraisal from a local source. Balance that with what was invested in the restoration. Then look at what is for sale of same style and quality in the area you are selling in. You also must determine your lowest price acceptable. With all these in mind, set your price and be prepared to wait it out for the correct buyer.

I found selling local for me was real good due to the fact that there are not any restored Mustangs for sale here. Being the only one helps get your price.

It is really hard for anyone to set your price. I have sold two '66 Coupes in the last 8 months and got better money than most expected.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
It is tough to guestimate like this.

When the power steering was added did they change to a power steering box?

Were the transmission and rear end rebuilt? If so, to what level?

What kind of rebuild was done to the engine?

Is the transmission correct for a 65?

What kind of exhaust? What shape is it in?

Are the hood, doors and trunk lid all original Ford parts? What condition are they in?

Really, how good is the paint and its prep work?

From the low end I could see $9,000 to a high of $18,000 and it all depends on the quality of the car and workmanship.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the power steering was added did they change to a power steering box? yes

Were the transmission and rear end rebuilt? If so, to what level? I need to find this out.

What kind of rebuild was done to the engine? I was told, a full rebuild to stock

Is the transmission correct for a 65?yes

What kind of exhaust? What shape is it in?stock single, new in 2003

Are the hood, doors and trunk lid all original Ford parts? I have no ideaWhat condition are they in?excellent

Really, how good is the paint and its prep work? the paint is very nice, the car was striped to bare metal, all rust cut out, mimimal filler used

From the low end I could see $9,000 to a high of $18,000 and it all depends on the quality of the car and workmanship.Thanks, I was telling her to ask about $16,500 and see how close offers came in at.

Thanks

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,722 Posts
In my experience, no matter what car you are selling, you need to compare it to cars in the same price range... your competition...to see what prospective buyers have to choose from. You need to be competitve to snag your buyer.

Second, for a car being represented as "restored", the thing has quite a bit of road grime and surface rust that effectively distances that car from being freshly restored. It needs a solid clean up/touch up if you represent it as recently restored.

Lastly, if you find the right buyer, you will likely get your price. If, on the other hand, your buyer is a value conscious buyer looking for a "deal" expect low ball offers.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeff thanks for the input. It realy isn't 'grimey' as it may appear to you. The car is very clean when seen in person.

The car was driven on wet roads, one time, to get it from one house to another (divorce), and unless they are stainless, exhaust systems rust like this sitting in the garage for one winter in Michigan. The same goes for any of the un-painted parts.

The add states the restoration was done in 2002-03. I think the car is exceptionaly clean for a 3 year old job.

I will advise the owner to spray of any dirt as soon as the weather permits. -2 F today :)

thanks again

·
Registered
1965 Coupe
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took another look Jeff, and you are right, the pictures do accentuate the slightest bit of anything. I will be sure to mention that the car does have a few thousand miles on the restoration and that it was in fact completed in late 2004. not 'Fresh'.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts