Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Took out the DS door window, roll up assembly, and vent window. Hopefully I will get it put back together. 馃槣 However, a little issue with vent frame/divider bar. Pix tells the story. My question is...
better to get complete replacement or try to rebuild? What are the best sources of parts either which way I go?

Registered
I think you're going to need a new vent window frame. That piece that's broken off is important when it comes to adjusting and lining up your window. The adjusting screw pushes against that part, and if it's broken, then no good. I don't know if that can be welded or not. Others may know.

Registered
You wont be able to repair that.

Premium Member
I would try to find an original frame in decent condition if at all possible. It's the decent condition part that can be hard because the chrome is highly susceptible to pitting/corrosion over time. Don't throw the one you have away just yet though, in the event you end up buying a new reproduction replacement you can cajole/bend/twist/muscle it to match the unique curvature of that original. The repops are notoriously poor for easy out of the box fitment.

Registered
I don't know if that part is aluminum or pot metal but even if it's aluminum it would cost almost as much to get it repaired as to buy a used assembly.

Registered
I had the same thing happen to my pax side vent window frame. They are indeed pot metal. Even if you could fix it (very few people will even attempt to weld pot metal) you'll need to do a lot of work to get it prepped for chrome too. The actual surround to the glass itself is stainless. And it looks like you've got tinted glass!!

I bought just the frame from a local vendor and it was pretty nice and fit well. The chrome shines nicely.

It really depends. I had already bought a full vent window seal kit before I found my frame was broken, so I just rebuilt both sides with the new frame. Its a bit tedious, but nothing that the average person can't handle.

Premium Member
Oh wow ! I've never seen that before. I knew I had one extra vent window but is a passenger side when I checked. Dean

Registered
And most important of all----- DO NOT GRAB THAT VENT TO CLOSE THE DOOR !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts