Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently found out, by using cool detective skills that my car started life has a 3-speed manual!
First, I noticed a hole in the firewall, next to the accelerator pedal stuffed with red bandana (lol). Second, my brake pedal is about half the size of the "automatic transmission brake pedal" shwon on restoremustang.com. Third, my automatic shifter didn't have the light, or the wiring for the light. Fourth, I just took another look at my data plate, and it says "6 1" at the end. The 6, axle, is a 3.20:1 and the transmission was a 3-speed manual.

I called the original owner who confirmed this... He had it converted to a C4 for his daughter to drive the car.

I want to change it back to a manual, but that'd entail changing the whole thing wouldn't it? Might it still have the M/T bellhousing? The switch didn't appear thoroughly and professuionaly done. I.e., no light wiring, and no filler used on the hole where the clutch was.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i know the feeling. my dads fastback purchased about a 2 months or so ago. turns out the PO had it converted as well. my dad was pretty pissed. he also had the PS converted to manual but lord knows what the parts are from. its totally the wrong kinda idlerarm and bracket. he has is set up in such a way that only one bolt holds the idler arm bracket to the unibody. the more we look at that car the more we are disgusted by this guys butchery. mods are one thing, but poorly done mods just totally SUCK!!!

Corpus Christi TX

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Man it pisses me off.

And you're right. If the car was converted to a C4 CORRECTLY then that'd be one thing. But jesus! They stuffed the hole from the removal of the clutch WITH A BANDANA! I can't believe that!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can beat that...

After I towed my car home (it had a 6 cyl and C4) I was showing it to my father in law, and telling him how I was planning to swap in a TKO and yadda yadda..

As I was explaining how much trouble I was expecting to have trying to find a clutch pedal assembly, I kneeled down by the drivers side and looked, and lo and behold, I grabbed the clutch pedal and pulled it up to be even with the others :)

At least your PO had the decency to remove the pedals so as to not be confusing!!!

-M

AIM: SixFivePony

'65 Coupe ***Total Project***
Current Stats: Dead 200 six, C4, surface rust, hole in the floorpan :)

Plans: Tremec TKO, 351C, MII front suspension, no shock towers :)

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Removed the pedals, yes. But I'd rather HAVE them right now, since I want it back to original!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Same here. The PO converted the orig 4-spd to an auto due to a disability. Man do I wish I had the 4-spd. I'll eventually look into trying to find someone to do a one-for-one swap.

Rich
1966 GT Convertible

1 - 7 of 7 Posts