Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not looking to start a firestorm as I know that many of you have strong preferences exclusively for originally restored classics. I will begin by saying that I also have had a lifelong appreciation for all of the early and original Shelby Mustangs, Mach 1s, Bosses, etc and love viewing them here. These are no doubt, absolutely beautiful vehicles. At some point however, I determined that I also liked many of these same classic cars restored with modernized performance updates and conservatively clean pro-touring stylings to bring them forward in time. If this does not appeal to you, I get it and that’s of course completely understandable as well.

However, I have had a ’68 with many modernized updates for almost 20 years, but just recently completed another two-year project to clean it up and build it out even further. This is no ‘hack’ Eleanor conversion which may be responsible for many of the disparaging remarks toward some of these cars. It is also not intended to be an original classic – yet, every decision was purposefully intended from the full coilover suspension with lowered stance to the cleaner, updated color of white paint selected to pair with the Guardsman Blue.

I am very proud of the quality of restoration and fabrication work delivered by the car builder professionals that I used and the delivery of the design. Since I am now recently retired from the tech industry, I took the time to build a website to highlight this vehicle and the expert builders that helped me to bring this to life. I hope that it is appreciated by those that enjoy revitalizations like this (link below).

Further, I now have time again to focus on this hobby and will be continuing to make tweaks as we all like to do to our machines. I am researching and will be joining a couple Shelby/Mustang Forums to be able to connect with the community, ask questions and learn from everyone in this space. Yes, I drive this car regularly and, at the core, it still has some of the issues/quirks of the ’67-68s that I want to resolve. Thanks for letting me join in. Here’s my restomod convertible.

See pics and specs here >> www.mustangsnake.com

·
Dimples
5,666 Posts
Welcome. Your site looks good. I’ll have to do something like that one of these days.

I think you’ll find most people here more than accepting when it comes to restomods and custom modifications. I would expect the only resistance you may run into is around the Eleanor specific stuff by some of the particularly opinionated members (like myself), but you know what they say. Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Looks like some quality work for sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Blake. Just looked at your Showcase and your Mustang is definitely worthy of a website. I see that you also don’t mind straying a little from the “original equipment” (nice wheels!). Yes, we all like different things (and I like both – original and restyled), but the bottom line is that these are all on some GREAT cars that we can enjoy. Hey, I only listed in my profile that I am in Texas, but I am likely very close to you. Let me know if there are any classic Mustang events sometime in the area.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...chuckling...yeah, I’m not ‘black helicopter’ worried or even privacy concerned at all – I come from the tech industry and I am all about progress and advancements. However, what if some Eleanor-hater wanted to look me up? See??
...Southlake...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I’m fine with the Eleanor, but an automatic!!!! Kidding!

That’s a beautiful car, I wouldn’t give a rat’s butt what anyone thinks. Solid choices and very nice build quality. Gorgeous! Enjoy it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha! Yeah, sorry about that "auto" thing. Being convertible, this one was intended to be a bit of a cruiser -- even though I did give it some muscle. Didn't expect I would slip that by you. Thanks for the compliments.

·
Dimples
5,666 Posts
...chuckling...yeah, I’m not ‘black helicopter’ worried or even privacy concerned at all – I come from the tech industry and I am all about progress and advancements. However, what if some Eleanor-hater wanted to look me up? See??
...Southlake...
hahah, you coulda just said NE Tarrant. I’m SW Fort Worth. There’s a fun cruise on Camp Bowie every month. Just started up in January. Last Saturday of the month, I believe. It’s really fun. It’d be cool if you could make it out.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
. However, what if some Eleanor-hater wanted to look me up? See??
...Southlake...
Just stop calling it Eleanor and i'll take you off the hit list. Im sure you know all the things its not so Il just say i like it better than the usual.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Just stop calling it Eleanor and i'll take you off the hit list. Im sure you know all the things its not so Il just say i like it better than the usual.
I agree. You can take this off the Eleanor clone hit list because it isn't another freakin' clone of the over done movie car! First off, you took a convertible, then you chose your own colors. If someone is liking the styling, fine, but try to make your own along the way.
Nice looking ride, love to cruise it. Not sure how much top down you get to do in DFW. When I lived there it seemed to go from blazing summer to mild winter and back to blazing summer in just a few weeks time. I learned real quick that a motorcycle in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic was hell on earth.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks @Huntingky , appreciate the perspective. Yes, to explain -- I mainly use the term ‘Eleanor’ to point directly to the fact that I am not trying to say that this is a GT500 ‘VIN’ vehicle. It is like the Memphis Raines car that took a great base Mustang and used the Stanford/Foose styling changes to build/update the vehicle and then load it with performance and of course then called it a GT500 Eleanor. Like you pointed out, I wanted a project that was a slightly different base (convertible), using the more classic Shelby colors (yet modernized – some people may have a problem that I did not use Wimbledon, but that was intentional), a few of the Eleanor body styling mods (fabricated fender widening, slightly revised front end, etc) and of course modernized machinery, but it’s closer to my style than the “movie car”. I actually don’t begrudge the movie though as I think it brought a lot of attention to the Shelbys/Mustangs and even the entire muscle car restoration movement. Not everyone is going to do it ‘right’ though or to everyone’s liking. At the end of the day, we seem to have even many more people out there now that enjoy seeing our cars and give many “thumbs up” when we drive.

I decided to start with a base Mustang out of the Metuchen, NJ plant, just like the Shelbys that were created from these exact base models in ’68 and shipped to Michigan to bolt on the Shelby upgrades. I could have used a GT500, but it made no sense, due to the fact that once we tore it down to rebuild, I would be left with the exact same original Mustang metal/components using either base. So, let’s leave many of those GT500s for original restorations where possible when the engines, etc. would be reused.

So...if others want to call this a clone, a fake, a recreation, a tribute, an Eleanor, or whatever, what it is IS a full-on NJ base Mustang built out as a Shelby upgrade with Shelby and other modern parts in the year 2020. Completely open to opinions though and suggestions on what it would prefer to be called. Thank you all again.

P.S. Can’t wait to read all 11 pages of the @Huntingky ’65 Coyote build. That looks impressive. You sir are one talented, skilled and knowledgeable guy with an awesome set of tools.

P.S.S. It does get hot in TX, but been here all my life. Keep top down from Mar – Nov. Had to replace faded carpet already once – just have to drive these things. It’s also the reason that that I decided to change my seats from the all vinyl this time to have fabric inserts. I went with the TMI seats and selected one of their custom fabrics that matched my car and also that I felt still looked vintage.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
P.S. Can’t wait to read all 11 pages of the @Huntingky ’65 Coyote build. That looks impressive. You sir are one talented, skilled and knowledgeable guy with an awesome set of tools.

Thanks! Don't know about the talent and such.....I have to hit Youtube and guys on here, learning and faking it as I go .

P.S.S. It does get hot in TX, but been here all my life. Keep top down from Mar – Nov. Had to replace faded carpet already once – just have to drive these things. It’s also the reason that that I decided to change my seats from the all vinyl this time to have fabric inserts. I went with the TMI seats and selected one of their custom fabrics that matched my car and also that I felt still looked vintage.

LOL....yeah, my Mustang had cloth seats which I learned to greatly appreciate!

View attachment 746289

·
Dimples
5,666 Posts
Not sure how much top down you get to do in DFW. When I lived there it seemed to go from blazing summer to mild winter and back to blazing summer in just a few weeks time. I learned real quick that a motorcycle in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic was hell on earth.
I had to own a convertible to figure it out, but the secret is warm summer nights. Without the sun beating on you, a convertible is a beautiful thing around here. Otherwise you’re best off driving during our 6 week spring or 6 week autumn.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed @BlakeTX . This may also open me up to abuse, but it is also the reason that I decided to replace my old, tired, dated headlight units recently as well. My original setup was just terribly dim and provided yellow and worthless lighting for nighttime driving. I decided to upgrade to LED and found that Delta Tech made a unit that still preserved a very nearly original appearance that I preferred.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
A lot of hard work went into this car for sure. Great job.

At the beginning I was more into stock looking cars. Over the years I started to admire the restomods more and more. I would love to have two cars, one restomod and one stock. However, garage space is very limited in the Bay Area :(

Enjoy your ride!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts