Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the 66 I restored, I had been fighting a seemingly bad adjustment involving the new master cylinder and new brake booster, as the brake engagement point was moving relative to the pedal height from the floorboards. This culminated in the brakes being perfectly in adjustment until the car was driven for about 20 minutes, then the brakes locked up and would not release. I figured it was the adjustment of the rod from the booster to the mastercylinder and played with that to no avail.

The owner of the car took it to a shop where the tech owns a 66 of his own. He diagnoses the problem as worn out return springs on the rear drum brakes! The springs simply did not have enough tension, when warm, to retract the brake shoes! I've never read of a post like this before nor had this problem and solution. When I restore drum brakes, I change the hardware too. The owner's brother did the brakes, merely changing the shoes. I had to replace a wheel cylinder which was bad and also he left off a brake shoe retractor spring from the driver's front wheel, which I caught before putting the car on the road.

Who would have thought of this as the problem? Hope it helps someone sometime. I guess I was fixated on the new brake system components and I assumed it was my installation thereof which was screwing up the brakes, rather than someone else's previous work. go figure.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I suspect we'll see a lot of what seem "odd" problems as these cars age even more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts