Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read a post "buyer beware". Got me wondering if i have a real GT myself. I have a 1966 Mustang fastback GT. Built Dec
7 1965. I have the original disks and rotors on the front of car,four pistins. The original rad support with fog lights holes, It has deluxe pony interior. Has original factory fenders with proper gt emblems holes. Aftermarket exhaust. I don't know
where to look for reinforcement brakets. It is an A code car.
Rear end has the block on top of dif. Is that normal for a 65 built. I have the original build sheet. Is there any information on build sheet that will tell me if it is a Gt.

Like to have a picture of the rear frame rails showing brackets
Thanks

·
Registered
762 Posts
A well done 'A' code GT replica is darn hard to tell from the real thing. One item to check is the steering box...GT's had the quick ration steering box (number on tag ends in AX and not AT or AW).

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I've heard that the GTs with power steering had the AW box while the manuals got the AX one. The only difference being that the internal torque setups were specific to MS or PS. Also, wouldn't the rear end have the dual exhaust brake hose setup where the distribution block sits off the axle on a bracket?

·
Registered
288 Posts
The Power steering GT would have the AW box, just like any other Power steering car. the AX box was only for GTs with manual steering (Like my Fastback).

The reinforcement brackets are actually inside the rear frame rail. That's why I always look there first. Very difficult to fake. At the back end of the frame rails should be original "L" support brackets for holding the exhaust trumpets in place. Two bolts go through the frame rail. There is a drain hole below this. If you stick a finger inside the frame rail and feel towards the front of the car and towards the rear your finger should come in contact with what feels like a flat plate reinforcement. Non dual exhaust cars will not have both of these.
Another place to check is pull the bottom seat bun from the rear seat. Underneath would be rectangular pieces on both sides with a screw threw the middle and studs protruding through the floor wall to hold the muffler straps. Even if the exhaust has been replaced no one would likely have pulled the back seat to remove these. At the very least the holes for the studs would still be there. Take a look at ( http://www.karmustang.com/GT.htm ) for a picture of what I am talking about here
If you want other areas to check PM me and I would be happy to help. I have a digital camera and could probably get into the garage soon and take some pictures of specific things to look for, like the differential. I even have a C-code coupe to show the difference between the two.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot guys.
This is really helpful,and Sielke D i'm going to check the car out tomorrow.I'm going to pull the back seat out.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I have to disagree with one thing- the AX box was available with any car that got the special handling package (or whatever it was called). I have owned a couple of 66 non-Gt cars that had disc brakes, 2V engines, larger sway bar and the AX box.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The Kar site is great with lot's of good tips for checking for real GT's.I printed the info and brought it with me before I bought mine. Also checkout http://www.etconnect.com/gt/mmgtff.htm. Try the fog's, the tail lights come on with the factory one's. Good luck.
Paul.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have to disagree with one thing- the AX box was available with any car that got the special handling package
I stand corrected. :)

The AX box did come with the special handling package (if ordered without power steering) that was available seperately for any V8 equipped Mustang. Several parts of the GT package were available as seperate options on any V8 car. Special Handling Package, Disk Brakes and even dual exhaust. Honestly if someone found an A-code that came from the factory with these options from the factory, but not the GT package itself it would be extremely difficult to tell it was converted. Though I doubt very many people ordered these options seperately. For less than the combined cost you could the GT package. A K-code non-GT would be so as to get the engine you got the special handling package and duals with the engine option. Nobody really worries about a non-GT K-code having been converted though as most of its value is in the fact it is a K-code, the GT package is then only icing on the cake.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Try the fog's, the tail lights come on with the factory one's
Yup, your right. ::

I just went into the garage and turned on my fog lights. I knew the taillights came on but I just noticed the instrument lights come on when you flip the fog light switch on as well. That is something else good to look for. :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
My point exactly,,,the 'AX' designation is not definitive but another clue on the list to determine GT authenticity. Frankly I have heard that the muffler brackets are the best means to tell when all else fails. Bottom line...if you have all of these features cited then you either have a real GT or a clone so close nobody can tell the diff anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts