Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About the only thing left under my hood from when I bought the car 6 years ago is the 3 row commie brass/copper radiator. Cooled both the 289 and the 331 perfectly even when waiting in line to make a run on 90º days. Well, now its dead and I want to just drop in a replacement and go racing next Sunday using my 3 core shroud stand offs, shroud, and HiPo fan and spacer. The actual core is like 1.80" . Looking for quality at < $300 if possible.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If your going commie anyway get a Champion
I don't want to go commie, but thanks to the commie virus funds are very tight. Champion is on the top of the list via NPD not sure 2 or 3 core to work with the current accessories.
Funny, on the NPD site the Champion Rad says US made?

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I believe my aluminum 2 row is a Northern .

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Cold-Case looks really close to original stamping wise, but why pay extra for a polished radiator I'm going to paint black?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Summit racing sells a pretty decent unbranded radiator that when it gets shipped to your door is actually a northern.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the responses. The core on all the aluminum rads is significantly thicker than the 1.8” that I currently have. I need something I can just drop it and go racing on Sunday. I’ll call NPD this evening I guess.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Northern 2 core for me and it uses the 3 core shroud stand offs, although I do like the look of the original equipment style

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
FWIW, when I visited Dan at Mustang Barn back in Dec. 2017 he was using Cold-Case radiators and was very pleased with them.
EDIT: I now see that the Barn and Cold-Case are neighbors, only ~5miles apart. :unsure:

Reactions: Nailbender

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Maybe also look at getting some type of screen to go on the front of your core support? I think NPD sells the material that was used on the R models. But something like this would probably work too.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Maybe also look at getting some type of screen to go on the front of your core support? I think NPD sells the material that was used on the R models. But something like this would probably work too.
Coincidentally, To keep bugs and trash out of my RAD, I made a screen that slips into a channel (already there) in from of the radiator. I used Aluminum window screen frame hardware and metal screening. Easy 'cause I used to repair them and cheap 'cause I had all of the materials on hand.

Attachments

Reactions: Mustang4SF
1 - 20 of 64 Posts