Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I'm using a HiPo fan and spacer with an early aluminum, no backing plate water pump. Not sure what you need to see as the Northern 2 row equals the brass copper 3 row. Picture below of my setup but you need to do some measuring to get the proper spacing. PM me if you need help. I have exactly 1" from radiator to fan.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
How long is your spacer ? I have the same water pump .
The HiPo spacer is 2" and really expensive and designed to work with the HiPo Fan. What you have to do to determine what size spacer you need is measure the distance from your radiator core to the face of the water pump pulley, 4 1/4" in my case. Next place your fan face down on a flat surface and measure from the surface to the point that the spacer will mount on on your fan, 1 1/4" on the HiPo fan. Then decide how much room you want between the fan and radiator, 1" works fine in my case with the fan shroud.

4 1/4" overall distance, minus 1 1/4" fan, minus 1" space between the fan and radiator equals a 2" spacer. NPD part number 8546-5A is 2 1/4" and would be the "normal" spacer for a 3 row and 4 blade fan.

So many variables with these old cars it pays to do some math, saves on shipping costs.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The HiPo spacer is 2" and really expensive and designed to work with the HiPo Fan. What you have to do to determine what size spacer you need is measure the distance from your radiator core to the face of the water pump pulley, 4 1/4" in my case. Next place your fan face down on a flat surface and measure from the surface to the point that the spacer will mount on on your fan, 1 1/4" on the HiPo fan. Then decide how much room you want between the fan and radiator, 1" works fine in my case with the fan shroud.

4 1/4" overall distance, minus 1 1/4" fan, minus 1" space between the fan and radiator equals a 2" spacer. NPD part number 8546-5A is 2 1/4" and would be the "normal" spacer for a 3 row and 4 blade fan.

So many variables with these old cars it pays to do some math, saves on shipping costs.
I still want a FORD spacer but in the meantime I went to Oreillys and got a Flex-a-lite 2 inch and it seems to be working. Only took the car for a quick 10 minute run and all seems good. As a side note,who knew my car was overheating all these years ! Gauge usually ran on the M and this trip it did not even touch the M. Thanks for the info on what you are running.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts