Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 68 coupe, plain jane 200 6, rust bucket, partial floors body rust and missing some parts. I've got a 89 5.0 from a lincoln and no trans. There is nothing special about the car except i've had it since i was young. My idea is just for a fun car to drive. I'm willing to do the work myself but i have a "person" impeding this directive. Any suggestions? i'm not going to let this car rot away like this jerk intends. Sorry if im out of line, but at this point and time i'm very very ticked off

·
Registered
680 Posts
Don't listen to anyone else about your car. Sounds like you are attached to it. Buy a welder, and do the work on the floors and the body. Then, put the 5.0 in it. Do what you want. Don't worry about what someone else thinks....It's your car, your labor, and your money.....DO IT

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the encouragement. Thats exactly what i need. the body work i can handle, im inexperienced but i'm willing to tackle it. I've just got to get some parental co-operation here.

·
Administrator
19,348 Posts
I'm not real clear about the arguement here, but I'll guess you're a kid with parent problems. (or something like that)
So..I'd guess you need ammo for your side of the argument.
A car project will keep you off the streets.
The total cost of rebuilding a "good" car will cost about half what it would cost to buy a brand new cheap import car.
You'll learn valuable skills which will help you get a better/higher paying job. I personally know mechanics who make about $50K a year.
You'll be "recycling".
If you do a good job, you can likely sell the car and make a profit (maybe).
You know a couple thousand other people (VMF) who are doing the same thing and they seem to be more or less sane and normal.
Anybody else have some good ones to add?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The argument here is the man don't want to help me get the car away from the house (into the yard so i can work on it) its up against the back of the house now. The other problem is he seems to think that i'm going to get killed with the car. Currently i'm driving a big block powered lincoln, and before that a hopped up truck. I know what i'm doing with a v8 and i know how to drive responsibly. hes let the car rot away so far, and i want it fixed, even though she's plain jane, its a perfect candidate for a restomod.
Thanks for the imput!

PS It is my father

·
Registered
453 Posts
If it is your father you are speaking of I would sit down with him and really try to have a heart to heart. Ask most of the guys here on the forum life is much to short to have a bad relationship with your father over a car. I am on your side as far as the car is concerned what a great learning experience. If you start on it make sure you commit yourself to finish it so he can't do the "I told you so" later. Bargin with him if you have to make it a win win situation. I know it won't be easy be the rewards will last you a lifetime. Good luck

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i know about those bad relationships, both my brothers are like that with him, at times. I don't really have any problems with him. but i don't like people that are un cooperative. having a grudge with him over a car isn't worth it. but he isn't letting the voice of reason talk to him. tomorrow is the day of reckoning..that car is comin' back to life.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Sounds to me like he might have other plans for the car. Is it his or yours? If he's got a interest in restoring it himself then maybe you can convince him to make it a father/son project. You might have a golden opportunity here to bond tight with your father and if that is the case dont mess it up....

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The thing that you should know is restoring a car can get expensive even when you do the work. I'm not trying to discourage you rather tell you the truth about restoring old cars. It will be a long time and a lot of dollars before you're cruising in your classic. Sometimes when restoring an old car, the initially cheap car is not the least expensive.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea i know all about the cost of restoring one. One of my friends did it before me, and i chipped in on that one. My father has no intentions for the car if i don't do something with it, it'll sit there and rot. I don't want that to happen.
he is going to help me with the project, i've just got to get him motivated. Wish me Luck!

G

·
0 Posts
Maybe it's not the 5.0 in the car that he's afraid that will kill you, but working under the car? I know some people have a real fear of working under a car. Start with the proper tools, and this includes a REAL floor jack and sturdy jack stands. Got a hard concrete surface to work on? Don't even think of doing this in the yard on stands. Have a sit down discussion with him. Tell him that you want to skip the 5.0 for now and just do the resto job on the body. Give it some time, then discuss the 5.0 swap a year or so down the road. Stick with the I6 for now to get the 'stang out of the weeds.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the six is caput. Low compression on all cyls, don't think it would run anymore. Ive got the exact same engine in a ford fairmont. 200 six. But it has some horrendous rod knock. the 5.0 is on hold because he wants to get rid of the car its in. the aggrivating part there is i'll be the one changing the trans in the car the 5.0 is in so he can get rid of it. i won't get jack for it though. but enough said. i'll find a way to get it moving. Even if i have to take my flinstone hole floorboards and push it down the road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts