Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on another forum - supposedly happened last weekend during the last Ride-n-Drive session at the Mustang Roundup at Pacific Raceways in WA....

OUCH!!!

http://a3.cpimg.com/image/5B/2C/11564123-cec9-028001E0-.jpg

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/5C/2C/11564124-d06c-028001E0-.jpg

Anybody have more details?????

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Sob, sob. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I feel for the guy. I know the constant fear of driving a Shelby on the street. It makes you tense, especially when people run up beside you to see it, etc. Scary. Looks like it is repairable though.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It actually happenend. They had track day at Pacific Raceways (formerly SIR) in conjuction with the Mustang Round-up show this past weekend. A friend of mine was out there with his car and said the guy lost control going into one of turns.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
That's sad, but at least he was driving the car the way it was intended.

I think babying these cars is anathema. They are fine steeds and should be driven. This means that they will occasionally get bunged up, but they can be fixed.

·
Registered
680 Posts
An Insurance man's worst nightmare.....If his insurance would cover him on the track.....
Looks like it is fixable, but, fiberglass parts are VERY expensive....

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ouch is right. Can't look at the pcitures without making a painful face! At least it looks repairable. Such a shame, but at least it was haulin' butt when it happened....not a tree falling on the garage or some such ridicules thing....

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Unfortunately the sheet metal/fiberglass will be the easy part..The frame and suspension on the right side was almost at a right angle..The impact was very low..I am glad I was on the dyno at the time. I talked to the guy that was following him, he said that the Shelby simply got onto the dirt, and probably could have driven out of the corner in the dirt, but elected to turn back onto the track..and the rest is in the pics..The good thing is that he wasn't hurt...physically...

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
*Ouch!
Hate to see stuff like that!

Big block car.... More at home on the dragstrip..

(B.T.D.T.)

(Inviting a towing accident, loading a terribly nose-heavy car facing backward on a trailer.)

G

·
0 Posts
It was the talk of the show on Saturday. A friend of mine may be doing the repairs, so I will get to see it come back to life.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
David Firsthand rolled (literally) his 66' Shelby into a ball in the Vintage session at the Mid America meet in June. I was on the track behind him when he lost it exiting turn 1 at Hallet. I haven't heard but the car looked totalled to me. Rolled it and them tumbled end over end. He had a full roll cage and walked away from it. The car was painted white with Gold Lemans stripes.

He is an excellent driver who runs in SCCA GT-1 which is why I was way behind him. There is no way I want to play those games.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
A much slower car forced him to brake hard in the middle of corner 5. Corner 5 is blind to the left as you enter. The back end came around. He tried to correct, but this made turn 6 impossible. A header into a dirt embankment was the result.

The collision bent both frame rails and forced the sheetmetal into the tires (no puncture). The trailer load method was the only way to load the car (onto his trailer anyway). The front wheels would not turn (either side-to-side or fwd/back).
The only alternative would be a dolly on the fronts with the entire car loaded onto a flatbed.

To unload the car we had to remove the hood and both front fenders. There was some serious toe-out. The fog lights survived.

As for handling, this nose heavy GT500 was tailing me in my Boss302 and giving me fits all morning -- right on my bumper.
Sure I have crappy Dunlops and he has 17" wheels and tires. He also had some aftermarket front binders.
But the Shelby held its own very nicely. In the corners too.

The biggest problem we had was that there was a very slow intermediate group and a very fast intermediate group.
I'd come down the straightaway into corner 1 at about 110-120 and brake down to about 50-60 for the corner 2 sweeper.
Imagine my surprise when I had to dial down another 20-30 mph because a novice decided run group 2 would be more
fun to try.
Open tracks are great fun when everyone in a run group is on the same page. Just like on the freeway it's not the speed that gets ya. It's differences in speed.

BossBill

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
All I can say is ouch, been there & done that so I can empathize (spelling) with him. Sob sob./forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
391 Posts
At least he was enjoying the car. A few years ago a friend lost his pampered Porche when a drunk crashed through his garage door. It's a lesson, if you have it, use it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts