Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposedly there is such a car near here and a family member has offered to show it to me. Uncle has had it in the barn for several years and has never driven it. Supposedly it is not currently operational. I asked if it was a Cobra and he said no, it is a Mustang it is a convertible it is a Shelby and it is a 2 seater. Was there ever such a beast??

·
Registered
625 Posts
I remember hearing about a 67 vert prototype, but it's documented. What year is this one supposed to be?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 67 vert is in the VOLO auto museum (ie sales lot) in Illinois. I made a clone of that car two years ago. But it is a regular 4 seater. I don't know what year it is but supposedly he paid $40K for it about 15-20 years ago, so it must be something special. He is adamant that it is a Mustang, is a Shelby and is a 2 seater. Supposedly with a ton of paperwork proving it is a shelby prototype.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:rofl:

You're killing me with this stuff...... :rofl:

It's worth looking at for just the bizarre story, but I can't think of any Mustang matching that description......

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I know it sounds bizzare. But this same guy told me about a real boss 429 car just over the border in NC that could be bought for $6K. The owner supposedly put the original engine in his truck and would not sell the truck but would sell the body. I blew it off. Then two months later I see this same story with pics of the Boss 429 he described in a magazine. Now I don't want to take any more chances. :horror:

·
Registered
915 Posts
I would check it out it. Dont let it slip by. I only know of the 62 or 63 mustang convertible prototype that was a 2 seater. I have a magazine which shows the pictures doesnt look anything like the 64 1/2 mustang.Again this was a prototype for the mustang. I dont even know if it exists anymore. Mike

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
I would check it out it. Dont let it slip by. I only know of the 62 or 63 mustang convertible prototype that was a 2 seater. I have a magazine which shows the pictures doesnt look anything like the 64 1/2 mustang.Again this was a prototype for the mustang. I dont even know if it exists anymore. Mike
Its in the Henry Ford Museum. I have pics!

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I remember going to look at a "convertible hardtop" (that is the way they described it on the phone) back in my Mustangs plus days. Turn out to be just a hardtop.... "but it looks just like a convertible if you roll all the windows down: :wall:

Any way I would bet it turns out to be a production convertible with on of the fiberglass covers over the back half of the seating area. Kits were made in 67-68 to copy the T-Bird look.

Check the car and check the VIN.... If it was a prototype the VIN will be very different than what you are use to looking at :biggrin:

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Get some pictures! We wanna see!

I wouldn't mind seeing the original Bullitt Mustang that's supposedly in a barn somewhere too, so if you have access to that, get some of those pictures too :)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
there was a cool 2 seater at the silver springs show that the fellow modified a miata{spelling} with mustang sheet metal and is selling the sheet metal kits to do the same to your miata. wes really nothing to do with dustys post but brought to mind something interesting.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure about any of it, accept that HE is 100% positive it is a #1 a Shelby, #2 a 2 seater and #3 a Mustang and not a Cobra or a Sunbeam. He has a good bit of car knowkledge but he always bragged about this car or that car and I blew him off. When I told him that I had a 71 Cuda, he said that he did too. (yeah, right) But then I went to go look at his car and sure enough he did. It was rough and incomplete, but it was a real 71 Cuda that he would sell for $4K. Then he tells me about the Boss 429 and relays this wild tail about it being available for $6K. Again, yeah, right... But it turned out to be true too. Now he tells me about two fastbacks he knows of and this car. I know one of the fastbacks he told me about as I too had seen it in the same yard a year earlier. So again, nothing he has told me has turned out to be wrong so far. His Uncle owns the car. If he paid $20K for it supposedly under a distress type situation from a previous owner that NEVER was going to sell the car, then it must be more than your average Mustang or Sunbeam. He is supposed to start by going over to his Uncles and taking some pics to send me and ask him if I could see it and if he would sell it. We'll see.

I'm wondering if he has the "convertible" part wrong and is it a 65 Shelby 2 seater fastback. Did Shelby ever take the back seat out of any of the 6 verts he made? I know it is not going to be one of the Ford Mustang prototypes because Frod enver sold any of them or let them slip away.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
It sounds like the trip and visit would be worth it regardless of what the car turns out to be. Take the camera if they will let you.

John Harvey

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Almost sounds like that 69 Shelby Vert I recently posted about seeing a couple days ago. Next time the daughter and I WILL bring a camera. Then we can play that "I'll show you my pics if you show me yours" :lol:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Did Shelby ever take the back seat out of any of the 6 verts he made? I know it is not going to be one of the Ford Mustang prototypes because Frod enver sold any of them or let them slip away.
Nope, and that number 6 is incorrect and has been bandied about for years. There were only 4 (and no pink one as legend sometimes has it). Sorry, but if there was a 2 seat prototype it would be listed in the Shelby Registry and well known by SAAC which it is not...

·
Registered
915 Posts
I see Stang 32 has the picture of what I was talking about. Also prototypes Vin's do not resemble anything Like a vin #. Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts