Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few questions about swaping a six ('66 coupe with a 9inch clutch and flywheel to match) to an eight(302 or smaller)...

1. Can I get away with the original 6cyl breaks? I am not worries about stoping distances unless their twice a far.

2. What would I have to change to keep the car a manual. (what could I reuse)

3. Do they have the same starter? Driveshaft?

4. Is the differential a problem, I believe it is an 8 inch or a 7 1/4 inch.

I could use some help, I am in a real crunch.

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
Basically, it is possible but typically cost prohibitive to convert a 6 to an 8. Basically, the entire drivetrain from the engine up to the differential (unles you plan on putting your foot in it a couple of times) must be replaced and is not interchangable with the V8 except for the radiator. The brakes are just totally inadequate for the extra drivetrain weight and must be upgraded to V8 specs. It would be like putting a V8 in a pinto and leaving the factory brakes on it.....it just ain't gonna work.

The good news,

The 6 is a very good, strong engine, like the V8's, based on a truck engine, so they are very strong structurally. This allows for quite a bit of upgrade to the performance of the engine, to the point they will run like a V8 and give your friends a real surprise! Clifford Research and Iskenderian both make excellent cams, replacement valvetrains and Offenhauser makes a great single or multi-carb set-up. Yes it will cost more to build up the 6 compared to an 8, but, when you factor in the real cost of the total V8 upgrade in comparision to rebuilding and mildly upgrading the present car to handle, brake and acelorate like an 8, you are lots of $$ ahead for other things....like car wax, etc. "G"

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
But Ford did put Pinto brakes on a Mustang with a V8 - from '79-'86. Even the '87-'93s still had the same Pinto size rear drums. *G*

Like everyone else mentioned, it's not the stopping distance, it's the strength. I've seen the front axles snapped completely off an I6 spindle and the car still had the I6 in it! The '66 I6 had the integral rear end which was weak and the drive shaft is different than the one used on a V8 equipped Mustang.

I think the I6 radiators are different from the V8 - the water inlet/outlet are staggered while the V8's are in line vertically - it wasn't until '69 or '70 when Ford went from the passenger side inlet to the driver side inlet water pump.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I fully considered doing a V8 swap before really getting into the Inline spirit! The cost to do a CORRECT V8 swap, which is the only kind of swap that should be done, will cost about $7,000 and will nickle and dime to death. I've spent 5 grand on my Mustang's motor and while 5 grand for a V8 would be a 13 second car, my 6 will run with V8s and post low 16, high 15 second 1/4 times. Late model V6 cars are no match, and that's prevalently what I race on the streets (when I do such siully, stupid, irresponsible things.)

As far as changing stuff... NOTHING will interchange except for:

The chassis
The interior
The Paint
The stereo
The heater
Everything else is different. EVERYTHING.

Don't desert us and waste another great I6 car!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts