Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few cars in my collection but this is the first Ford. I got my mothers friends husband who passed sell me his car. 1967 Mustang convertible 289 2V, Automatic. Its the lime gold metallic, wife hates the color but... power steering but not power brakes. It had a respray about 5 years ago, no body work ever done and very straight. Engine was pulled about 5 years ago also with 500 miles on it since. All numbers matching with all records since new, San Jose car.

My question is, do I start replacing pieces of trim to make it look perfect or do I leave it alone and just repair things as they break? I want to make the car easier for my wife to drive and put some power brakes on but...do I leave it stock? I am stuck here. There are so many repro parts for the car does it matter if I dont get NOS parts for this car?

thanks for the input all or the long read. I am just a little confused.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
405 Posts
One school of thought is to change things which can be put back to original if need be. For example if you upgrade to power brakes, keep the original pieces. Another thought may be that this is not a "rare" version of a Mustang, so a nicely restored car could be more desirable / valuable than an original one which looks like it needs some work.

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
264 Posts
Like richardsimon52 said, make it how you want it, Keep the original parts. Original cars don't bring as much as driveable cars, unless they are a all original GT350, Boss, etc. Look at what sells the best, T5, AOD with aftermarket A.C., Fuel Injected cars, turn key and drive. I have 1 all original 65 Fastback and 1 65 Convertible with 302, T5, 8.8 axle, A.C, power top, originally a 6cyl. 3 spd. The convertible probably would well quicker, Wife doesn't like the hard clutch to push or carb in fastback.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I think the issue you have to decide is do I keep it original so I can sell it & make money or at least recoup my investment or do I make it a car I like and want to use & drive. I say Make it like you want it and as for the color more people like it than you might think. I always liked white and red until I got my twin to yours.( even born in the same facility,but mine got the shaft and
now even the 6 cyl is growing on me ).

If it were me I would be all over some power disc brakes(your wife would most likely be inclined to drive it more) I was ,as the manual drums on my vert sucked big time.

My personal feelings are that your wife would like driveing and rideing( maybe you also) with different front seats that offered some body control with bolsters as opposed to the flat stock seats that offer nothing. For me it was like a night & day difference.

Any way hope the best for you.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I believe most of us have struggled with this.
One thing about our mustangs, because they were such a high volume car, and marketed toward the young, most were/are customized in some way.
I picked up an original 1968 with "normal use" wear that could be called a Patina car with parking lot dents and a budget repaint that seems to have been done many years ago, old school.
I struggled for quite some time on original vs. "upgraded"..
My conclusion was to add things that improve safety, comfort and reliability while keeping the "original" look such as: electronic ignition, 4 wheel disks brakes (I can not maintain drum very well), seats with headrests (my seats were rotted out), new AC system instead of trying to rebuild the old one, a classic looking but modern stereo, plan on front suspension upgrades with a mind towards smooth highway driving including wider tires to stay out of ruts, lots of sound deadening, 3 point seat belts (already on my 68, but retractable so easier to use) etc...

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I always suggest that you drive it as-is for a while to determine what you (and your wife) don't like about the car. Then fix that problem, or upgrade as needed.
I'd start by getting a reprint Ford Shop Manual. Lots of sources. I got mine (and other reprints) from NPD.
1965-1973 Mustang Restoration Factory Literature / Manuals - National Parts Depot (npdlink.com)

The go-to sources for parts are (in no particular order):
National Parts Depot (NPD)
Chockostang (steering and brakes)
OpenTracker
Street or Track
Virginia Mustang
West Coast Classic Cougar (great videos, including one on power brakes!)
MidLife (wiring harness repair)
and others....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts