Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Great blast from the past. We lived in Missouri, where there were refineries. There were periodic gas wars, and gas would get even lower than 12 cents a gallon! I wish I had taken a pic of the gas signs back then, just to prove it to our kids.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
I enjoy post like these.. One of the things I enjoy, while listening to Classic Radio on SIRUS/XM, is the old commercials, from the early War years through the mid 50s.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Love the "Radio, Heater"
might as well say it has brakes and tires too lol

Reactions: Badbenz94

·
Registered
511 Posts
That is amazing. A few questions.

1. I had to look up what a 1957 Ford Tudor was. Was it really only worth $150 10 years later? Sure, I know cars from this era rusted out quickly. But I would hope a nicely kept southern state one would be worth more. Or did 1950s cars fall out of fashion quickly when the 1960s came along even for nice condition cars? It says nothing about the condition, so I assume it is not good. And the price is with offers accepted.

2. That 1967 Mustang advert. Has selling cars in the US always been about monthly payments and not about the total cost. Car dealerships in the UK are starting to act this way now, but up to a decade or so ago it was more about the total cash price and finance was a side thing if you wanted it.

I found a video from the 1960s about scrap metal recycling in the UK. The cars being sent to the scrapyard were in better condition than the ones people are restoring now. Some of them looked like the bodywork was fairly rust free and it was probably a dead engine that made the car meet its maker. Amazing how someone's new pride and joy soon turns into unwanted junk to be crushed into a cube and no one knew decades later they would be collectable.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'd suspect the newspaper is from 1967, but it could also be 1983. I paid $1,800 for my first 66 coupe with only 20K miles: C-code, C4 auto, factory air, Sahara Beige, "Parchment" interior, and a dealer installed trailer hitch. She had over 240K miles when I finally had to sell her 10 years later..

@Blues Power, the "radio + heater" line makes sense if that paper is from 1967.

The first affordable, reliable, fully solid-state transistor radios for cars were released in 1963. Before that milestone, radios used tubes and were relatively fragile gadgets and were usually optional.

And it sounds crazy, but the modern "heater core" layout using outside air for climate control didn't become "standardized" until the late 50s. Many low-end budget cars didn't come standard with heaters until the early 60s.

Here's some perspective on the rural farm, post-WWII, post-Depression mindset (a.k.a. my parents and grandparents). Cars were transportation and nothing else. Heaters and radios were wastes of good money! You dressed warm in the Winter and rolled down the windows in Summer. We have radio in the house, so why pay extra for a car radio? My family's first car with A/C and FM radio was a 1975 station wagon. We got our first color TV around 1980-ish (a 23" Zenith System 3 console!). It had no remote, of course.

Nowadays your car is an Internet hot-spot, the Feds want to mandate backup cameras and radar-controlled anti-collision braking, and people finance vehicles for 7 years. Oh, how far we've come.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently found an old Auto Trader magazine from 1989. Check out some of these gems.

Cue Archie Bunker's theme song: "Those were the daaaayyyyyysss!"
20190228_122923.jpg
20180910_052934.jpg
20181102_152412.jpg

Reactions: FTWingRiders

·
Registered
833 Posts
That is amazing. A few questions.
2. That 1967 Mustang advert. Has selling cars in the US always been about monthly payments and not about the total cost. Car dealerships in the UK are starting to act this way now, but up to a decade or so ago it was more about the total cash price and finance was a side thing if you wanted it.
Sure has. IIRC, in the late 50s/early 60s Chevy had an advertising campaign for selling new cars at $36/mo for 36 months. It was a hit. I think Iacocca was the mind behind it.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Oh the Good Old Days!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts