Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Keep in mind that minimum wage back then was $1.65/hour. Also, remember that a two year old car was just another used car and new Mustangs were going for about $3,000-$3,500.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I love old newspapers.

I remodeled the kitchen in my 100 year old Sears house in Arkansas about 20 years ago.

The outside wall was insulated with newspapers from 1943, from the last remodel I guess.

A crime wave was a couple boys getting liquored up and going for a joyride in a farmers truck.

The farmer got his truck back and the boys got a good talking to, all was well at the end of the day.

Knowing the good folks that live in that part of the country, Im guessing that there was a lot of talk that Satan is among us and the Lords work is not done, why else would two good boys from good family's that are in church every Sunday behave so badly?

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
Wow, That 1969 Shelby was a screaming deal for even back in 1970!.(Paper above dated Setpember 5th, 1970 on the upper left).. People forget that there were a lot of "Leftover" 1969 Shelbys that did not get sold..so much so, That Ford had them Re-titled by the Feds to 1970 models so that Ford could unload them. I'm not making this up either...It's the truth...

Tony K.

Reactions: Master Hack

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
Everything is relative....for the time and place I guess..

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I went inside an old miner's dugout near Death Valley back in 1978. Someone had papered the walls with the LA Times, and I was looking for a date. A lot of the articles were about World War I, so they were from 1914 - 1918. I finally found the date where it wasn't covered up or torn out, and it was 1916. It was pretty cool to see.

·
Registered
31 Posts
69 Shelby: "26 to choose from" Wow.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I remember in the late 90's you could buy a nice boss 9 out of classifieds for mid 40's. Then in about 10 yrs time they tripled in price to and eventually got to prices most can't afford. If I could have been 5-10 yrs sooner getting some money in the bank I'd have a boss 9.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I have a 1930 Model A Ford, bought in 1969, for $600, and it took all my paper route money.

We lived on Los Angeles, and my dad would drive it to work somedays. One day, at a light, a man asked if he could ride it for a bit, and my dad agreed.

He had owned one long ago, and sold it for $2, since it ran. Not running: $0. It was before WW2.

I got into Mustangs around the same time. There were boatloads for sale, nice used cars. After Uncle Sam was finished with me, there were scads of them for $500 or less, and by 1980 or so, there were lots in the $100 or less range, as rust, not running, etc. had taken it's toll. I bought a 1966 GT coupe, loaded for bear, cracked block, for $250. I bought a 1966 plain jane 6 cylinder coupe for, IIRC, $500 around 1985. All I wanted was the factory AM/FM and the console. I took them both, and resold the car for the same amount, IIRC.

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
I wonder if I could go back a week or so before I bought mine and search the microfiche and find the add for mine in the Washington post. I bought my 67 in August 1975. It was listed in the want ads.

I actually just sent an email to the Washington post to find out how to get this info. It would be worth the trip back home to search the files if they have them.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts