Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, do NOT ever leave skin exposed to carb cleaner (or any other petrolum solvent, i would asume) for an extended period of time.. it REALLY burns /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

on to the questons. i took the trans out of my car today so i can send it off to the sand blaster. while the trans is out, i want to rebuild it if it needs it (i am on a budjet, so if i dont have to spend $$, i dont want to)... but how do i know if it does or not? the PO said it was in good shape, but who knows. it has been sitting for over 10 years, etc. i want to eventully put a 5 speed in the car (a ways off, it will not get done during the restoration) so the trans doesnt need to last forever, if you get my point.

if it does need a rebuild, how hard is it to do yourself? i dont have alot of mechanical experience, however my dad who is helping me with the project does (doesnt know how to rebuild tranny's, however). is it something that i could just get a book and take my time with, or is it something i should contract out?
thanks alot for the help

- Jason

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
First of all, DO NOT SANDBLAST THE TRANSMISSION, sorry for shouting but I gaurantee you will have more trouble than you bargained for. As far as rebuilding goes if you have the transmission out now is the time to do it. You dont state which tranny you have but there are some good books on rebuilding. You will need special tools such as piston seal installers and band apply pins but the cost would still be less than having the job done. You might look for a local mechanic that will rebuild it for you if you pull it. I rebuild for people that remove and install their own and can save them a lot of money that way. Either way it will be a good experience for you. Good luck...

G

·
0 Posts
Dittos on the sand blasting. Don't do it! IF the trans. needs rebuilding, do it yourself. You just follow instructions ( a trans. is really quite simple ) Best regards John

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Once you have the trans out, you should at least replace the main seals. Being that you have an automatic(C4), those are more difficult to rebuild that a manual. Change the trans fluid and if it is a dark color and/or smells burnt, then you should consider getting it rebuild. The clutch bands are going bad. Goodluck and have fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts