Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first classic Mustang about a year ago. It's a 1966 notchback with the original 289 2-barrel. Within a week of buying it, I had it running with just a little bit of work. The biggest problem was that the engine would stall out (or at least try to) every time I hit the accelerator from a dead stop. Stop signs and red lights were terrible. It would start to accelerate into the intersection and then die, leaving me stopped in the middle of the intersection. I would then have to quickly put it in park, restart the engine, and then try again to get out of the intersection - a terrible feeling while everyone's watching you.

As I researched the problem, I kept driving the car. I found that if I just creep through the intersection slowly, I could keep it from stalling. I also found that I could floor it and "jump" past the stalling with enough fuel pressure.

Some people said that it might be the accelerator pump on the carb. I verified that it was working. I wasn't sure if I was seeing the right thing, so I started by rebuilding the carb with a kit - no improvement. Then my mechanic said to replace the carb - so I did. I bought a $250 Chinese carb (which worked) but made no difference in the stalling problem. Then another mechanic said, "It's because you bought a piece of Chinese crap". So I bought a $500 carb and replaced it - it made some difference, but not much.

Up to this point, it's been almost a year of engine hesitations and stalling - but I've learned to live with it.

Yesterday - the alternator died and failed to charge the battery. I replaced the alternator - AND NOTHING ELSE - and when I took it for a test drive - all of the stalling/hesitation/lurching disappeared. There's no trace of it at all - it's all gone. The car drives so much better now. I've tried to make the "flat spot" come back and I can't. The acceleration is smooth and consistent. It's a miracle... so I wanted to share this with the world, just in case someone else has the exact same story... but hasn't replaced the alternator yet.

·
Registered
65 GT 4 speed/69 SCJ 4 speed
1,773 Posts
Thanks for the problem solved story. Not sure of the connection but for now who cares ? Brian

·
Premium Member
5,571 Posts
Does not make any sense, but great news.

• Love
Reactions: Blues Power

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
i once changed a VR and my over heating problems that i was never able to find disappeared

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have heard that sometimes when alternators are going bad they put out some AC voltage instead of DC voltage. Could be yours was putting out just enough to jank everything up for a split second before the rectifiers did their job.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I bought my first classic Mustang about a year ago. It's a 1966 notchback with the original 289 2-barrel. Within a week of buying it, I had it running with just a little bit of work. The biggest problem was that the engine would stall out (or at least try to) every time I hit the accelerator from a dead stop. Stop signs and red lights were terrible. It would start to accelerate into the intersection and then die, leaving me stopped in the middle of the intersection. I would then have to quickly put it in park, restart the engine, and then try again to get out of the intersection - a terrible feeling while everyone's watching you.

As I researched the problem, I kept driving the car. I found that if I just creep through the intersection slowly, I could keep it from stalling. I also found that I could floor it and "jump" past the stalling with enough fuel pressure.

Some people said that it might be the accelerator pump on the carb. I verified that it was working. I wasn't sure if I was seeing the right thing, so I started by rebuilding the carb with a kit - no improvement. Then my mechanic said to replace the carb - so I did. I bought a $250 Chinese carb (which worked) but made no difference in the stalling problem. Then another mechanic said, "It's because you bought a piece of Chinese crap". So I bought a $500 carb and replaced it - it made some difference, but not much.

Up to this point, it's been almost a year of engine hesitations and stalling - but I've learned to live with it.

Yesterday - the alternator died and failed to charge the battery. I replaced the alternator - AND NOTHING ELSE - and when I took it for a test drive - all of the stalling/hesitation/lurching disappeared. There's no trace of it at all - it's all gone. The car drives so much better now. I've tried to make the "flat spot" come back and I can't. The acceleration is smooth and consistent. It's a miracle... so I wanted to share this with the world, just in case someone else has the exact same story... but hasn't replaced the alternator yet.
I am not surprised at all. Mine had a good but extremely old alternator (keeping it as a spare probably OE Motorcraft from pre overseas mfr days)....but even with the new one if I don't have my idle speed set to exactly around 650-70 in 'D' when all my accessories including A/C are on the idle slows down to about 580 or so. Too much lower than that my charging voltage drops to around battery voltage and the car begins to stutter. That coil does not like to fire while it's competing with lights, A/C and radio with a low or no charge situation. I think that is probably what was happening to you..except it was with a bad alternator and not a low idle speed. Worn brushes probably.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts