Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today started out pretty good. I had decided yesterday that I was going to order me a welder. I found one at Harbor Freight (.com) for 1/2 price @ $175. I planned on parking the stang in the garage and finally beginning work on it to make it beautiful. My car ain't ugly, it's at least a good 20 footer. So this morning I get up, get dressed, hop on the computer and order my new welder. I then walk out the door, get in my Mustang since my other car was blocked in the garage, and 5 minutes later -- I get rear-ended by a Lincoln Navigator. Damaged my bumper, tail light lens, tail light panel, rear valance, and my pride. At least she hit me pretty square so my quarter panels weren't damaged at all. But this really SUCKS!

The funny thing is that the first policeman to arrive on the scene appeared to be the chief of the local police. At least that is what I assume the 3 stars on his collar and the word "chief" would mean on his badge. He goes through everything with us and when the other people left he says, "I have a 67 fastback, we love our mustangs, don't we..."

Got a local Mustang restoration pro getting me an estimate and I'll be taking it down to get another from another restoration shop in town. Hopefully everything comes out looking great...

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
needless to say it could have been soooooooo much worse. for you and your mustang. sorry that had to happen though. but now with that new welder you can weld some big/fat bars across the back.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
that SUCKS! i cant believe someone would have that little respect for a mustang, lol. i would be so mad. look at it this way, youll be getting new chrome bumper out of the whole deal( unless your cars original, then that wouldnt be an advantage) sorry that had to happen to your car.

alex

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm sorry for your car.You'll have to understand him, even if he has a mustang, he was first of all police officer, right?And only someone who has a mustang can understand this passion.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
did i miss something, were you offended by what the cop said?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't see any offense, just that the policeman had to do his job for the sake of the other party involved before we started talking cars...

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
As a survivor of a 40 MPH+ rear end collision, I'm very sorry to hear about the accident. Fortunately, (I hope!) no one was hurt. It sounds like your Mustang can be fixed also.

Hope everything works out,

Dean T

·
Registered
708 Posts
I know how you feel. My 66 Mustang was hit in a pretty good way when it was just fully resprayed and not even 100% built up again. The Audi TT (which I can't stand ever since) caused 9000 euro's damage to the Mustang, but it was all fixed. The TT was scrapped ::!

But as was said before, be thankful it wasn't any worse and there were no casualties. now that would really have been a disaster. Metal can be fixed or replaced. Human bodyparts are harder to come by and replace...

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
Wow, sorry for the problems! This kinda spooks me because I drove my 66 to work this am. This lady behind me was on my tail (about 4') in a hugh lincoln navigator. The road is a county road for about 25 miles, light traffic and everyone drives 55 even thought the limit is 45. I mean she was doing the whole lipstick/eyeshadow/hair thing :: All this a fraction of a second from my bumper. I always keep a safe distance from others, enough it even aggrivates someone into passing me, even though they are not going anywhere because of the other 2 or 3 vehicles in front of me :: If someone hits me doing this, all I can say is I am going to "retire" and enjoy! ::

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
At least you can be fairly certain the police report will assign all blame to the lady.

It's so easy for these old cars to get "totalled," in the sense that the repair costs exceed the fair market value. I hope it doesn't happen to you. My family lost a perfectly good '88 Aerostar to a rear-ender; I had to sue to get $1750 for it. Believe it or not, the law in this country is that any stranger can take out your sub-$3000 car at will and all you can do is accept the check, regardless of what the vehicle is worth to you personally, or that you probably can't find as nice a replacement for the money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.