Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well was about to fire up my 351C for the first time... Putting in the coolant, and I notice a small leak...No big deal, loose clamp. Nooooo block leak.
I had the block repaired by a "Perfessional" welder. The PO had tried to lift the engine by the screw in water temp sensor and ceacked the corner off. He welded the Cast iron (hard to do correctly) and put in a thread insert where the sensor screws in. Well there was a pinhole leak through the side side of the block. You could barely see it. You could just get the tip if a needle in it..Pulled all the hoses off, coil, alt, themostat housing. Prepped it really well and JB welded the inside and outside.
My judgement, along with a few friends says it will be fine.
But you never know with pressurized coolant.
Put it back together tomorrow night (24 hr dry time) start it up Monday.
What do ya think my odds are that it will not leak?

G

·
If the surfaces were clean, the JB weld will be OK. Remember, if it was'nt for JB weld and duct tape, many 3rd world nations would collapse. Regards Juan El Mon.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I know that cast iron is VERY hard to weld correctly, but what type of rod did the welder use (assuming he ARCed it)??? I was taught by my welding teacher to use welding rod with a high nickel content. It works great!!! Someone broke a large cast iron part from a tractor in half, and after prepping the surface and welding it with high-nickel rod.... He's never had a problem since. Now as far as JB weld goes... My bets are on it stopping the leak.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He used a high nickle rod and preheated it like you are supposed to. It is hard to weld but thay is why I paid him to do it. I will have to have a talk to him come Monday.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts