Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off just want to say that although the instructions were a little vague in places the product itself gets an A+++++. I would recommend this to anyone considering rewiring their ride. Since I don't have an engine/tranny I sill have all the loose ends waiting to be fitted and terminated but other than that its pretty much all there and done. Here some pics, a lot of em

It will only let me do 25 pics, there are some more if you check out the link in my sig, go to the interior folder in photobucket.
brad

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wow that looks incredible man, nice work and thanks for sharing! I might try and route the wires again the way you have them, at least the under dash ones. Looks easier without the steering column, pedals and heater box in the way haha. It looks like you've routed the transmission connections inside the car huh? I'm still debating which way to run them. Did you unbundle alot of the circuit branches so you could custom route them? Also, which wires do you have routed through the middle of the firewall into the engine bay (I'm guessing oil pressure, temperature, coil, carburetor etc)?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Photos

Great photos! What wiring harness did you use or did you make your own? What kind of sound brrier is that? Looks good in the photos. Thanks, Grant.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow that looks incredible man, nice work and thanks for sharing! I might try and route the wires again the way you have them, at least the under dash ones. Looks easier without the steering column, pedals and heater box in the way haha. It looks like you've routed the transmission connections inside the car huh? I'm still debating which way to run them. Did you unbundle alot of the circuit branches so you could custom route them? Also, which wires do you have routed through the middle of the firewall into the engine bay (I'm guessing oil pressure, temperature, coil, carburetor etc)?
You are right, those plus the wires for the heater blower. I unbundled all of the branches, not only to make it easy for routing but those zip ties make it a PITA to put that sleeving on. I used electrical tie to rebundle the branches as i routed them. I routed all the wires, one branch at a time up to the point i was going to put the sleeving on cut to length then sleeved it. It was a PITA doing the bundles that already had connectors on, i had to take the terminals out sleeve then put them back in.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great photos! What wiring harness did you use or did you make your own? What kind of sound brrier is that? Looks good in the photos. Thanks, Grant.
thanks Grant,
for the wiring i used American Autowire Classic Update kit 510055 and for the sound deadener i used edead 80 mil, used about 150 sqft to do the whole car.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Amazing work! You did such a nice job I thought it came that way. I will have to show my brother. He builds computers and would really appreciate the wiring/looming job you did. Computer power supplies used to come without any loom. My brother would use the same kind of loom to make it look much better. Now power supplies come pre-loomed.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Just a few tips from my brother who has done plenty of tedious sleeving:

Burning the ends of the sleeves with a lighter will help cut down on fraying, but using heat shrink tubing (as 67FSTBKRestoMod did) is a good idea.

Nail clippers work very well to cut the excess ends of zip ties. You can cleanly cut it right down to the nub.

67FSTBKRestoMod,

What will you be doing with the wiring in the engine compartment? Will you be hiding most of it?

·
VMF Ambassador
6,667 Posts
Wow! That looks incredible! Nice job on the wiring. I'll have to show my dad this (he was an electrical engineer for 10 years or so so he'd appreciate how nice it looks).

Wish my harness looked that nice. I've lucked out and most of it is in really good condition with the wire sleeves, but there are some parts where it's just strange and all I can do is wonder what the PO was thinking! :loco:

·
Registered
17 Posts
May I just say, your car is so beautiful and well done that i can only hope mine looks half as good as yours when its that close to being done. Great job!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the compliments, Dude thanks for the idea about the nail clippers, that makes total sense i'm going to use that from now on and i did use a lighter to melt the ends, the tubing was to keep it from sliding around and to give it a real clean look. Kelly consider urself lucky, mine came 50% installed 50% in a box with electrical tape all over it. I wasn't about to try and figure out that mess!

·
Registered
761 Posts
That looks fantastic! I hope all the sticky pads the wiring is zip tied to stay in place. I bought a batch of those that fell off after a couple of weeks, tossed the whole bunch after a while.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I wire up classroom lecterns for a living. This is some great work here. Hoping my job comes out just as nice. I'm going with the same brand of harness for my '66. Love the heat shield/sound deadner. Where can it be bought from? I'm off to Google now....
One tip though, those square adhesive backed tie wrap mounts have a tendency to let go after a year or two of exposure to heat and humidity. I would avoid using them if at all possable.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
That looks fantastic! I hope all the sticky pads the wiring is zip tied to stay in place. I bought a batch of those that fell off after a couple of weeks, tossed the whole bunch after a while.
I was going to say the same thing, but you beat me to it. I wonder how long they will last with the heat of the motor under the hood.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wire up classroom lecterns for a living. This is some great work here. Hoping my job comes out just as nice. I'm going with the same brand of harness for my '66. Love the heat shield/sound deadner. Where can it be bought from? I'm off to Google now....
One tip though, those square adhesive backed tie wrap mounts have a tendency to let go after a year or two of exposure to heat and humidity. I would avoid using them if at all possable.
Thanks Scott, i thought about that but went with them anyway, really trying not do drill anymore holes than i have to, if they do let go i'll redo with clamps or something to that nature, it will be an easy fix which is i'm try them first. i got the sound deadener from elemental designs, its the edead 80 mil, 2 bucks sqft did one layer the whole car came up just short of 150 sqft. sounds like ur pretty wire savvy so i'm sure ur will turn out at the very least just as good. I spent 5 years in the Marine Corps as a helicopter electrician so i have a bit of experience chasing and routing wires. Good luck!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Are there any other alternatives to the sticky pads and the plastic wire "ties"?

Also, what are you using/planning to use for your alternator and fan? If you've gotten that far, :lol:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
If the ones on the firewall do fail i will replace them with the rubber insulated clamps i used in the wheel wells like such

these can be found at home depot in packs of 2 or individually at ace hardware
I highly highly doubt the ones rear of the firewall are going anywhere but the ones on the firewall which are holding the bulk of the wires i could see failing at some point, only time will tell, we'll see

Edit: forgot ur other q, rad/fan no idea! i capped the wire supplied for the fan and left in in the bundle till i add one, i kno exactly where to spread the braided sleeving and pull it out for future use, i did the same for the fog light wires in case i ever decide to add those.

·
Registered
236 Posts
AAW Harness

Congratulations on the work that you have done so far. Your car looks like it is progressing really nice. I have a few questions for you. I have a 68 that I got back on the road last summer. I didn't have the cash at the time so I used a harness out of a parts car. I plan on up grading to an AAW harness this summer. Does the harness come sleeved like that or was that all of your own work? My car was originally an automatic that I converted to 4 speed w/toploader. I had issues with the neutral safety switch. How does AAW address this issue? Did you mount the fuse box in the original location or just close by? Thanks for your time and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I used AAW when I built my FFR Cobra and plan on using it again on my next project. IMO, it's a much better kit than Painless Wiring or Ron Francis.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts