Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from a little elf that Santa is bringing me a fog light kit for my '68. I pulled out my electrical schematics to review and I don't see the wiring diagram for the fog lights anywhere nor do I seem them anywhere in the maintenance manual? :: That's strange because the I thought the fog lights were part of the GT package/optional item.

The kit includes the harness and dash switch. Anything special I need to know about? Where did you guys/gals mount your switch? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
I installed mine last year, very easy to do. If I remember correctly the wiring was not there, I just made my own harness with the correct connectors and wired it up to power on the solenoid. I installed my switch in the factory location which is under the dash right below the ash tray. You should be able to see it in the below picture looking through the steering wheel. The lights sure make a difference in the look of the car!
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/568000-568999/568597_161_full.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you really want a wiring diagram get an original chiltins manual. I have one and its got everything you'll need it's worth it

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. What kind of steering wheel is that? Grant? Anything I need to know about attaching the brackes to the grill and the lights to the brackets?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Its a Mahogany Lecarra wheel, very nice quality I might add. As for installing the lights, very easy, but did you also get a GT grill? The reason I ask is the standard grill does not have the brackets to attach the lights with, also you would have to cut 2 holes in the grill, the backets are riveted to the grill. What I did was buy one off a another car so I did not have to cut up my original grill.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
The Osborne Factory Assembly Manual - Electrical has very good pics of the wiring routing/installation.

The switch will mount to an existing hole in the underside of the dash.

AMK sells the correct rivets for mounting the brackets to a non-GT grille. Aluminum and they press in place very easily. Or you can use pop-rivets if original look is not a concern. GT grilles are not reproduced (as far as I have seen) just buy a Non-GT and cut to suit, very easy.

The biggest issue is getting the wire from underdash to the engine bay. I pulled my loom from under the dash, cut the grommet, laid the fog wires against the old wiring and then rewrapped & reinstalled. A couple hours work, but looks very clean. The rest of the wiring is very easy to install.

PM me if you want any pics of my install, can also scan the OFM pics and email if you like.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I don't have a GT grill. I'm going to have add the brackets to my exixting grill.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had my AMK master catalog out the other day looking for attaching hardware for the fog lights and the only thing I saw were 2 items, one to attach the switch to the dash and the other for the fog light bezels. I'll look again for the rivets. I'd love to see some picts of your install. Anything to keep me from doing a doofus is always worth its weight in gold. Send them to [email protected]

Thanks, :highfive:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts