Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shooting for .010-.020 which is what I want according to the building small block ford book. When I put the rings in the cylenders and squared them up, there was overlap on the two ends. In other words, I had to take quite a bit of material off of all of the rings to get between .010 and .020. Is this a bad thing? Maybe they gave me rings for .030 over instead of .040 on accident?
Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Maybe they gave me rings for .030 over instead of .040 on accident?
If you are bored .040, and they gave you rings for .030, they would be too small for the bore. I'd mike the cylinders and see what you've got. Doesn't sound like they are bored .040, or they may have given you rings for .060 over..?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, you are correct on the rings possibly being .060 over, not .030. Am I still in good shape as long as the gap is correct?
Thanks

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Depending on the finished bore size tolerance and whether you have file-to-fit rings, sometimes you can take a fair amount of material off when fitting them.
It is possible, as was mentioned, that you got rings for a larger bore size. File to fits should fit the bore with little to no gap but shouldn't overlap.

This (ring gapping) is one operation which needs to be done carefully; I prefer to use a ring gapping rig (a rotary file with a jig to hold the ring square) to keep things as accurate as possible. Even small errors in gap angle and clearance can make a big difference in leakdown. Ask me how I know *G*

Try gapping gapless rings *G* (they overlap to achieve a gapless seal)....getting everything square and accurate is exceedingly important.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts