·
Registered
4,338 Posts
2x whatever # someone gives you.

Reactions: RV6

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey, they are cheap, get you at least a half dozen of them, I like to open up and cut in half, but be sure to reseal the section you dont use.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
LOL, that's like asking how many sheets of sandpaper you'll need. Start with a full box of a dozen at a minimum.

The one bit of advice I give everyone about consumables while prepping for paint - do not skimp on the quality. Buy from an automotive paint supply house that services body shops. Not Walmart, not Harbor Freight, not some guy in a white van. Buy the best you can buy and don't worry about the cost. It'll cost a lot more if you have to reshoot the car due to issues down the road.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,670 Posts
Yes buy a dozen to start with. When you open them, stretch them out and make a loose wadding with it and put it in a zip lock bag to keep it from drying out. You can un-ball them and re-use them up to a degree, use common sense. Once they are used a few times I save them for small parts. The used ones are also great to wipe all the masking paper down before tacking the body down. Also use the old cloths to wipe down about 6 feet of your air line before painting. I even rub the tack cloth on my arms and front half of my paint suit. I tend to stretch my consumables as far as I can but always use a fresh cloth when it comes to tacking the main body.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
LOL, the Amazon auto body section.:) I never heard of the brand but used these and their continuous rolls and disks of sand paper. Seemed fine and a good price.

I save them till the very end, paint mixed, in the gun and ready to shoot then tack the car off.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I only use tack clothes right before base, between coats of base, and right before primer.

So far, I have used 1.5 tack cloths on all the projects I've painted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts