Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 65 coupe within the last 6 months. Outside of oil changes every 3K, can someone give me an idea of other items that require regular maintenance and at what intervals. This probably seems like a stupid question to most of you but any ideas and guidelines would be appreciated. Are there any sites where this info might be available?

I am new to owning a classic and I don't want to miss any of the important things that need to be done regularly.

Thanks for your help and I really enjoy this board.

Oh yeah, the knob on the end of the light switch on my car keeps coming off. What would be the best way to reattach it so it will not come off. Thanks again.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by rbrack on 03/30/01 05:35 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Check the plugs regularly, and the gaps. Watch the water level. watch the oil level at every fill up.
With care even a pony on her last leg like mine will outlast any new car:)

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
I examine all fluids once a week, and check tire pressure once a month. I try to check manual tranny and rear-end fluid once a year. Lubricate every time I change oil.

The cars are very good at telling you when they need maintenance...you have to have a good ear, and know your car...they will let you know, usually by squeaks, rattles, and odd behavior.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
923 Posts
A lot of the fluids on the car should be checked.
every time you get gas.
check the oil, it's level and color(dirty?,milky?-means water in it)
check the trans fluid if its a auto, allways use a clean lint free rag(particles getting down into the trans can really cause problems)
radiator level
brake fluid level
battery fluid level
power steering fluid level
windshield washing fluid level
look for leaking fluid in and under the engine compartment
check your tire condition/wear and pressure

Every 3-5000 miles (your call) change your oil and filter, and again check all fluids and look for leaks.

Every 6 months check all your lights,fuses,air filter

Every 12000 miles or once a year.Change all filters( air,fuel, oil,transmission) and fluids , grease all suspension parts,grease the u joints and check rear end oil.check brakes for wear,manual trans fluid level,check drive belts and check the tension of the belts,clean the plugs and check your points (timing if you want), check spark plug wires and distrubutor cap,

Every 2 years. flush antifreeze (remember it can kill animals)or have it reconditioned, and change your brake fluid, change wiper blades

This may seem like alot, I use this proceedure as recommended by Mercedes-Benz, on all my cars (I have Mercedes), Thats one of the reasons why they last so long.

Good Luck

My son got me into this and I'm having a ball
65 fastback, 289, 3 speed, Holly 1850, Edelbrock intake. SSB front disks in a box, Canadian Mustang "real big kit" suspension in alot of boxes,
Right now lots of boxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks a million. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Any ideas on the light switch knob?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
...but I'll take a crack at your light switch knob. It is held in by a pin I think in the light switch itself, and should rotate about 300* or so so you can adjust your dash lights. It shouldn't fall off at all. If it does, I'd replace it and the light switch, commonly found in Mustang Catalogs.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts