Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe 302 T5
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got my car it has been having some issues with rolling out of first gear. Some times it is slow and works smoothly but some times it shakes the entire car fairly violently. The PO had already installed a T5 and a 302 in the car. The T5 is a World Class out of a 90 something V6, and the 302 is still a mystery what it came from, haven't broken it down enough to find a stamp. Let me list what I've ordered so far for reference.
McLeod Super Street Pro Clutch
McLeod 157T Flywheel Order a cheaper one but CJ substituted this one out.
ARP Flywheel Bolt kit
Ford Roller Pilot Bearing
Roller Bearing Pedal Bushings
Roller Clutch Rod Kit
Block Side Spherical Bearing
New Stock Z-Bar bushings for Frame side
New Pedal Support
New 65-66 Brake Pedal
2" Lowering 5 Leaf Springs not as related, but the old 4 leaf's were not in great condition
Performance Rear Shackles
Subframe Connectors

I will be rebuilding the pedal assembly almost from scratch. Someone in the past cut the pedal support bracket mounts near the driver off and used the brake pedal out of a 64 1/2.The only thing I'm keeping is the clutch pedal under the dash and most everything touching the clutch should be new or upgraded. I had heard the Z-bar set up was pretty bulletproof once set up right so I figured I would commit to that. I think I have everything but can anyone chime in on something I might have overlooked or just even offer some advice before this undertaking?

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe 302 T5
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
add a good transmission mount to your list and check the engine mounts . I have had them separate causing problems

Nick
Thanks for pointing this out. It has the MDL T5 transmission mount and I recently installed a rubber bushing because there wasn't one at all. Is it worth getting a poly one here? Same question for the motor mounts? I believe it is a roller motor but I would have to dig deeper to know but it has roller rockers and sounds like a sewing machine haha.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
FWIW, I bought an aluminum flywheel with the removable balance weights, installed the correct weight and took it to a balance shop to have it checked. The balance was not to spec and they had to drill lightning holes in the flywheel rim to get it within spec. So don't trust that flywheel to have the correct balance just because the maker says so. You will avoid future problems if you have it checked before assembly.

Reactions: Zis4Zero

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just wanted to point out that many of the T5 and TKO Gurus don't advise using a poly tranny mount and prefer the rubber instead. MDL can guide you on that. While you're in the area, you may want to verify your driveshaft input shaft clearance is within the recommended spacing tolerance and U-joints are well and good - not that this is causing your current issues. I just wouldn't necessarily rely that previous owner or whoever they had do the conversion applied appropriate skill and attention - especially considering they neglected installing a bushing where mounts to crossmember.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts