Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved my new parts for my 66 6cyl coupe. I have all new front and rear suspension plus sway bars and steering. Never done this before. So any tips for me? I have a hobby shop available for $5 a day with lifts and all the tools I need. But the advice there is lacking when it comes to vintage cars. All help is appreciated. -Moose

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Rent a internal spring compressor tighten it through the top of the shock tower. Have a friend with you
to help. The extra hands help when trying to hold and bolt at the same time. If your doing the steering
a puller might be a good idea. The Early Mustang is real easy to work on, go slow and you shouldn't have any problems.

1966 Mustang Coupe, 302 custom roller cam, holley 650dp,http://www.289mustang.com
http://www.289mustang.com/images/vmfcar.jpg

·
Registered
560 Posts
Are you going to do a complete rebuild on the steering and also where did you get the kits from?
Dave
P.S. Nice score on the hobby shop with lift for $5/day

66 Signal Flare Red Vert
302 2bbl

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have new upper arms, lower arms, shocks, springs, idler arm, tie rods, leafs, sway bars, shackles. I got the kit from Mustangs Plus. It is called the Super Starter Kit. $875.00

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
You can swap these things one at a time, so as said don't rush and make mistakes. Shocks, springs, leafs, anti-roll bars and shackles took two evenings when a friend of mine did those.

Door handle first

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a couple of questions!

You got this kit from Mustangs Plus, I checked it out and I did not see a kit online that included all of the parts you had. Can you give me the part number. I am very interested in this kit. And will call them direct.

You have a 6CYL, are you replacing the spindles?
Does the kit you bought allow you to upgrade to 15" wheels with a five bolt pattern? Did you buy the brakes seperate?

I would also like to keep in touch with you as you install this to see if the kit is worth it.

Curious!

Jimbo65

65 I6 200 Coupe (Daily Driver)

·
Vendor
5,279 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The kit I bought was in a mustangs and fords magazine. June of 2000. The kit number is 6792 Super Starter Kit. There are many options that you can discuss with them about different size springs and such. I did not change the spindles, but I do have 15" 4 lug wheels on it. I would like to go to 5 lug spindles at some time, but that is not a big concern for me right now as the car is my daily driver and is my only source of transportation.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by midnight66blue on 03/09/01 07:22 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
But get the front end aligned afterwards. Keep track of the shims and replace them back in their original location.

Good luck!

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just ordered thier catalog.

Thanks for the tip!
This kit is much cheaper than the individual items I was preparing to buy.

I am still very interested in how this goes for you.

Please keep us posted...

I got the stainless steel disc kit for the front. And found used spindles for the larger discs. That was way more than the kit for the arms, etc... I was not going to change those. But this kit makes it practical since I am changing out the rest anyway... LOL

Thanks for the information.

Jimbo65

65 I6 200 Coupe (Daily Driver)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jimbo65 on 03/09/01 07:32 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
673 Posts
If I was to do the suspension over again, I'd relocate the upper A-arm while I had the springs out. When combined with 1" lowering springs, I think it makes for a sharp, tight ride.

Thespazardman

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
like mentioned before, having a lending hand is very good. you said that you will have access to tools, right? pneumatic tools help quite a bit, especially if you're going to be disassembling components that haven't been touched in 30 years. the only problem i really had with was the ball joints. i tried the pickle fork and big f***en hammer routine, no dice. i ended up buying an air hammer. boy, i tell you, it sure makes it a lot easier. another good thing to have is pb blaster. it's a penetrant that loosens rusted bolts. take your time and work smart, not hard!

Rubelle
65 2+2, 289 (early A code), c/r toploader, magna suspension, centerline convo pros

1 - 12 of 12 Posts