Vintage Mustang Forums banner

About to pull 289 for first time

6K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  creasy12 
#1 ·
Hi guys---I have a 65 coupe with a 289 and c4-----I have my 1 ton Harbor Freight engine hoist and engine leveler ready to go. I want to pull both the engine and tranny at the same time (one unit). Engine is unhooked except for the motor mounts at the moment. C4 still needs to be unhooked. I have a few questions:

1) Since I'm pulling them both as one unit---what do I need to unhook on the c4?...I'd prefer to keep as many of the connections untouched as possible and keep it tethered to the engine but not sure what still has to be unhooked to get it out.
2) On the engine leveler, where are most people attaching the leveler (which holes)?
3)Anybody know what bolt size I might need to use with the leveler on the block?

Thanks in advance if anybody can help---I appreciate it!---B

#2 ·
Watch:
https://youtu.be/oOvGvsywuBQ

https://youtu.be/c1CHgIWsRJQ

Note that overhead height is key.

Drain as much trans fluid out of the AT as possible and use an old transmission yoke at the output shaft to prevent AT fluid spillage during removal.

Hat and music are essential.

Good luck
Paul

#3 ·
1) Since I'm pulling them both as one unit---what do I need to unhook on the c4?...I'd prefer to keep as many of the connections untouched as possible and keep it tethered to the engine but not sure what still has to be unhooked to get it out.
driveshaft- plug the tail end of the trans or have a lake! cooler lines, shifter linkage, and neutral safety switch wiring.
2) On the engine leveler, where are most people attaching the leveler (which holes)?
front and back of heads
3)Anybody know what bolt size I might need to use with the leveler on the block?
most likely a 7/16" depending on what hole you use..

Thanks in advance if anybody can help---I appreciate it!---B[/QUOTE]

#4 ·
Chock the wheels since you'll be releasing the tension on the E-Brake when you drop the cross member.

Remove the bolts from the transmission to the cross member and drop the cross member, remove driveshaft and put a plug in it to keep it from leaking tranny fluid all over the place. If no plug, wrap the tail shaft in plastic wrap and put a plastic back over it and secure it with duct tape. Disconnect the lines to the radiator and the line to the vacuum modulator. Don't forget remove the shifter lever and speedo cable and the unplug the backup light/neutral safety switch plug. The filler tube should be bolted to the head. so that can stay and remove the engine ground strap from the fire wall.

Radiator should be out too.

Have you disconnected the exhaust pipes from the manifolds?

Have I forgotten anything.

#5 ·
Remember to disconnect the speedometer cable, the tranny cooling lines, The shifter rod to the floor shifter, the kickdown cable if it is still connected, the tranny crossmember, make sure that you clear the emergency brake cable when hoisting it out. Remove the driveshaft and put another yoke in the tail of the tranny to prevent spillage, or take the one off of your driveshaft and use that. Remove the fan, all pulleys if possible, and radiator so that you'll have enough clearance in front. With the leveler, if you can remove the valve covers, use the most forward and rearward, outer head bolts for the chain links. And of course the exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.