Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to start the rebuild on the 289 and started kicking around options. Should I stroke my 289? Or switch to a 302 block and stroke? I have some extra $, that is why I am considering stroking. Here is what I will have: edelbrock performer rpm cam, intake, and heads(1.90" intake), and 1406 600cfm carb. I have a T5 and a 8" rear, I want to make sure I don't hammer those with too much HP. I would like to have 10:1 compression. Do I need forged rods + pistons? If I go 302, should I go with 331 or 347? I was thinking 347. Any opinions or information would be great. I did do a search on strokers but wanted to get some opinions for my situation. Should I stroke at all? Also, I don't know what kind of HP I will be talking but I want to make sure that I can put it to the ground. I will have posi 3.55's too.
TIA

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I most cases i would tell you to go wild but unless you want to run out and get a TKO the 289-302 strokers will put out alot of torque witch might not be okay with a t-5. spend most of your money going light wieght and highend power(rpm heads and intake) I would get a hydro. roller.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Stroke that 289 out to 347 cubic inches. The extra low end torque is so nice to have with that larger crank shaft...

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
stroke the 289. ive read many times that the 289 is just as good as a candidate for stroking as the 302. not too many differences there. if the 289 is in good shape and youve had it checked out and cleared, go for it. the 302 is so commonly used for stroking to 347, i think it would be cool to see a 289 put to use for it.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
I'm with everyone else (Obviously) and agree that stroking your 289 to 347 is the better choice.

Keeping in mind that you are using your original heads with bigger valves, and I assume, a port job w/upgraded screw in studs, you should be looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 275/300 RWHP provided you use an aggressive cam (Roller is best for streetability).

That being said, Your T5 will be beyond it's limit, and incapable of handling the HP/TQ under shock load (Drag Racing), but can survive spirited street driving.

A well built 8" T-Lock should hold up, but then again, you're running on the high end of the HP/TQ equation and run the risk of burning through clutch-packs..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts