Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the ABS power brakes integral power steering unit. I saw the article in Mustang's Monthly and it looks interesting. I have a power steering setup that I was going to rebuild and put on my car but I keep hearing they leak no matter what you do and this system looks very simple, just replace the steering box and use the stock power steering pump.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw the link to the ebay setup but this one is in the November Mustang Monthly magazine. It is by ABS power brakes in Orange, CA. I have seen their ads for brake boosters and disc setups. I do not see the steering box on their web site but when I called yesterday they said it is now avalible but that I would need to call back today to talk with a technician on specs. They said the list price is $500. Looking at the article it looks like a simple way to add power steering with out all the hassles of the stock setup.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
That is a pretty affordable way of going with power steering. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I work about two miles from thier store/shop in Orange. I am headed to SEMA tomorrow and was going to look for it there, if not I will check it out next week if they have one. If I can get any info I will post it here.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Elsewhere VMFer CraigMBA has indicated that he has this setup and that the box is a new casting so that it will bolt up without hassles. For a $500 list, I'm in!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
+1

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I went by ABSPowerBrakes today to see the product. They had one there--here is what I learned:
- The only box available currently is the one shown in the article (with the third mounting bolt tab in the up position). The new box with the mounting bolt tab in the down position will not be available for at least a year.
- The box being sold is a rebuilt unit--so definitely sourced from somewhere else. I looked on top but did not see any recognizable markings. It was obviously used and freshly worked on--the paint was so wet it stuck to my fingers and peeled off in sheets (partially because the parts was not properly prepped for paint).
- The box alone is $500. Mounting parts are extra. This includes hoses $50, column coupler $75, Pitman arm modification $75 (yes, modification). A pump if you want or need is extra but I did not price that.
- He did not have a price for the drag link adapter as he was trying to encourage me to use a manual drag link and manual pitman arm. He did say it was possible as shown in the article to use power steering drag link/pitman arm.
- The modification to the pitman arm is to 1) drill out the hole, and WELD in a new insert for splines to fit the box. He did say weld, heli-arc specifically. The box appears to have a smaller pitman arm shaft than what our Mustangs currently have. You have to supply the pitman arm for modification, but he is considering ordering some to sell outright.
- The ratio of the box was per the person I spoke to 16:1 with a 3.25 lock to lock. He was not absolutely sure about this though. I actually think he was guessing on both.
- Header clearance could be an issue. I told him I had a 351C and headers--he told me they have only tried it with a 351W and had to dent the headers to gain full clearance.

There were two things I did not like to hear:
1) the modification to the pitman arm
2) the mounting tab--they give you a long bolt and a tube and tell you to drill a hole in the apron and use a fender washer--that to me was scary. He offered to sell me the bracket as shown in the article (didn't say how much) but implied it may have clearance issues. I think I have a plan for how to deal with the mounting tab issue that would be safe (keeping that to myself as I may make 2 and sell the idea back to them for a better price on parts I need).

What I would like to know from the rest of you--how do you feel about the Pitman arm modification as described?

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
The pitman arm deal doesn't sound so great, the
way it's described. We used to make custom pitman
arms back when I was at Global West. We'd use the
splined end of one and graft it to another one
that had the geometry we needed. Dovetail joints
were used for maximum weld area and then we'd
sandwich the joint bwtween two pieces of 1/4"
plate, heated and hammered to conform to the
various bends and weld the snot out of it.
When completed, the piece looked like it was
intended for the Brooklyn bridge....
It was an intense process and had a price tag
to match.
BTW a 16:1 steering ratio equates to 4 turns of
the steering wheel, lock to lock.
Sounds like someone at ABS doesn't know what they
REALLY SHOULD know when providing tech info.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sounds like we need to wait until they get ALL the pieces manufactured and put in a kit, so no one has to modify ANYTHING. Otherwise, what's the point?? Right now I would'nt touch that with a ten foot pole...

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
+1 on the waiting aspect. I don't like the idea of having to modify anything. I'll wait. :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi;
Has anyone worked with ABS any more on this modification? I have been concerned about the pitman arm modification also. I talked with Pedro at ABS and he said that the sleeve is first press fit, then is continuous tig welded top and bottom. I talked with 3 different mechanics/machinists and each said the same. “Modifying a pitman arm is not the best, but this procedure sounded OK.” Has any one given more thought to this, or is this steering mod as dead as the first (and second and third….etc.) Flaming River R & P?

·
7,051 Posts
Just a note on the stock power steering system. Stanger53 rebuilt my control valve about 5 years ago. It hasn't leaked a drop since. That's probably only about 13,000 miles. If they are rebuilt properly, they can hold fluid for years. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Phil

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Has anyone actually tried this kit yet?

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
Haven't tried it. There's a guy over at cornercarvers
that has the prototype design.
He's not done installing it yet, from what I
gather. Some general observations-
1) ABS was supposed to cast a new steering box
case. I don't think they have. That would severely
limit the sale-ability for the kit. I think that
fabricated bracket is cheesy. (you can see it in
photo above, between the hoses and pitman arm)
2) There's some kind of hookey deal with the
connection at the steering column- ok for '68 and
up but you need to do additional mods on the
65/66 and the "right answer" isn't in the kit.

Those two alone put a serious limit on being able
to sell a kit in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I previously sent them an email asking those two questions and 5 more but haven't heard anything back yet. Would be great if this was an option but as of right now I don't think that it is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts