Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Basics:
1965 289 w/ air & automatic.
Has anyone installed Ford's fix for excessive AC belt slap consisting of the optional second accessory idler pulley on their 65/66 V8? If so, care to provide any comments?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
We have installed the starionary pulley. It is a must have to avoid much of the belt slap and vibration! If you have the Ford power steering pump or no power steering pump the installation is easy enough. Use a high quality belt. Also you will probably want to use a belt that is slightly shorter than the stock AC belt. This is because you will want this belt to be fairly tight.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the adjustable pulley alst fall (~$100.00) from NPD I believe. It is the stationary unit that I was asking about. I saw it in NPD for about $60.00, so I guess I will be calling them unless anyone has an alternate source........... ? :: ::

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I have paid for two of them. Both broke. Bracket is cast iron and I guess my high frequency of revving / squirelling around induced an environnment not conducive to the bracket surviving.
I have the AC installed without the extra idler. When I hit the track, off comes the AC belt...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts