Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m installing classic auto air. I have my compressor from CVF racing to go with my serpentine belt system. When I took the caps off of ports on the compressor today to attach the hoses the lower port had oil dripping out of it? Is this normal?

Thank you

·
Registered
972 Posts
If the compressor was stored "ports up" before installing there should be no oil drip. If stored on its side some oil could drip out. The compressor is usually sent with the proper oil charge in it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the compressor was stored "ports up" before installing there should be no oil drip. If stored on its side some oil could drip out. The compressor is usually sent with the proper oil charge in it.
So it’s ok to attach the hose with the oil in the system?

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
The compressor may not contain the entire amount of oil needed for the entire system. You need to determine how much the entire system requires and how much was installed in the compressor.

·
Registered
980 Posts
One other thing, you should also make sure the oil in it is compatible with the type of refrigerant you intend to charge with.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was in a similar situation, unsure of the oil quantity in my compressor..
My aircon re-gas dude suggested that I invert the compressor overnight to let the oil drain, and at gassing time, he added the appropriate amount of oil.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
980 Posts
I had to basically do the same thing although for a different reason. My new compressor came with 3 oz of pag oil according to the instructions. I needed mineral oil compatible with R12 refrigerant. The 2 oils can not be mixed so I drained 3.2 oz of the pag oil out by leaving the open compressor to drain for several hours. I refilled it with 11 oz of mineral oil for R12 and it’s been working great for several months now.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may have found out what is going on with mine, maybe? The instructions from CVF for installation did not list how to position the ports for the hose attachments. So I positioned the compressor like the CJ Pony parts video showed with the ports on the driver's side.

IMG_2894 (002).PNG

I went to the CVF website and in the display pictures (once again, not on the installation instructions) the ports are at the top.
302-SERPENTINE-AC-1__20682.1522950859.jpg

So I wonder if this compressor can only be positioned as in the image above, not rotated with the ports on the side. I will be calling CVF tomorrow to get clarification.

Allen

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
My Sanden was installed with the ports on the side by a dedicated Auto A/C shop. I have no issues.

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
The compressor doesn't care which direction the ports face when installed. Since the manufacturer installs some quantity of pre-charge oil it is going to run out if the port is facing down when you remove the protective cap. If you only lost a drop or two or a few you don't need to worry. It is entirely normal. If you lost a lot of oil drain it completely and add the full oil charge when you connect the hoses up.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I talked to both CVF Racing and Classic Auto Air. Both said the little bit of oil dripping is not a problem. So will finish the setup tomorrow. ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts