Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be having a problem with my factory AC. When I turn it on, the polly starts to spin and then stops and starts up again and stops. It does not do this when the AC is off or I am running at higher speeds, just when I am at Idle. Is there a problem with the unit that I will need to take it in and if so who can I take it to?

Also I am pulling the engine on Thursday and wondering if I should disconnect it. The freon in it needs to be recharged soon any way as it is not all that cool when the AC does work. (IE at high speeds)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering that but I am really literate to all this, I work on computers and engines and cars become foregn, but I guess that is why we have this forum. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Achtung! Prior to engine removal, please, oh please make arrangements with your trust air conditioning technician to remove any Freon you've got in there. Remember, all of the R-12 that's legally ever been made is already on the planet. I made arrangements when I pulled my car apart three years ago and this is what they (A/C shop) did:
1) sucked out all of the R-12 (1.75#), stored it for me and gave me a receipt for it.
2) drew down my A/C once I returned and verified my system was ready for a chage
3) charged my system back with R-12
all for $90.00!!!!!::
Please do the same prior to breaking your system. If your car is not movable, they can come to you!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
DO NOT remove system from car. Just unbolt the compressor and hang it in the engine compartment safe out of the way of your work. Use a piece of coat hanger wire or something like that to support the compressor off to the side. No need to disconnect any lines. Doing so will just make it more expensive when you want to put the A/C back in service later. Leave the freon in the system. John

·
Registered
391 Posts
Do what 70_Cougar said. Just unbolt and hang out of the way when you remove the engine. No reason to open the system and lots and lots of reasons to keep is closed.

-BS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts