Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
65 Convertible 289 2-v
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have my 65 289 vert torn apart for the build, I'm considering adding A/C and am looking for recommendations and/or opinions on what's available out there.

I've seen complete kits from Classic Auto Air, Old Air Products, and Vintage Air on the usual Mustang parts vendor sites These all look like good under dash options replicating the original look. The first two seem to be in the $1100-ish range, and Vintage Air is quite a bit higher. Any experience with these kits and opinions or recommendations for these or others?

I've also seen in old threads on this forum that folks were selling refurbished OEM units. However, I have not seen any recent listings nor have I found any such sellers on the inter-web. Any suggestions on going down this path?

Looking forward to your input!

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Old Air Products is the lowest cost and mimics the oem unit. If you source an original underdash unit they can refurbish it for you.

The other two venders offer complete air, heat, defrost units that cost 50% more but they do more and are unobtrustive. Also if you have a full length console you will not have to cut it down.

All are quality systems from well established vendors, you just have to decide what you want and the budget.

·
VMF Ambassador
7,085 Posts
I have one of the older style Classic Auto Air systems and never really liked the underdash unit - the plastic body mounts break easily and all of the 'chrome' pieces (like the vents and knobs) are actually just plastic, which means they have dulled out and look like garbage after 10 years.

However, I'd take my opinion with a grain of salt, as the unit IS ten years old and they may have made improvements since then. It's certainly worth checking with them to verify.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I put the Vintage Air premium unit in my 66 coupe and I am very happy with the whole thing. The A/C is colder than needed. Besides the installation instructions being unclear (I am being nice), and some parts needing "massaging" for the most part it is great. PS. you couldn't pay me enough to put one on your car.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Recently installed a Classic Auto Air daily driver in my 65.

A Flea bay find, missing some parts but mostly complete…a hotrod build that got sold.

It works well, I just need to insulate the car better and finally plugged firewall hole.

I had no complaints from passenger seat on our 4000 mile round trip to Texas.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Hood

·
Registered
396 Posts
I vote the in dash but agree the under looks more original
The in dash will replace your heater and defrosts the windshield better because it uses the a/c to remove moisture.

I just put an in dash classic auto air in my 68.
I live in Texas, and can report the cooling is overkill on 100+ degree days.
Instructions left a lot to the imagination, but they just released a new model. Not sure if they fixed the instructions.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Older CAA here as well in my 68. It cools as advertised and am pleased with it.
The newer model is electronic, “fly by wire” . Mine is cable operated and not as install friendly.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I wanted my big old honking unit that was original (no offense to gwstang, everyone has their own preferences). I bought an Old Air Products under hood system. It included everything except the evaporator, so I look original from the interior but have a sanden under the hood. It mounted very well to my engine after removing the original York unit.

I had a couple of issues while installing it, I called them up, they made good without any drama.

Reactions: Nos681 and gwstang

·
Registered
65 Convertible 289 2-v
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the responses! Although a good option and I like the idea, I wasn't really considering an in-dash unit. I like the original under-dash look, plus I like my A/C vents blowing directly on me (which I wouldn't have with in-dash).

It seems that Old Air Products may be the way to go. They have complete systems, or an under-hood package that looks like it may provide everything except the under-dash unit (in case I go with OEM). Although CAA under-dash systems are available on part sites, etc., their website only has the in-dash units. I'm wondering if they no longer build/support them?

One thing I like about the original Ford unit is that is also has the side vents to direct air to the floor (which I haven't seen on aftermarket units). This may be a good option if I can find a decent unit. So far, I've seen a couple on flea-bay that are fairly beat up.

It will be a bit before I need to make a decision, so please keep the comments coming! Also would appreciate any suggestions on where to find a decent OEM under-dash unit.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Don't expect any support from Original Air Group aka Classic Auto Air if you purchase from them. Nobody there will ever answer the phone or return your call if you leave a message. They rebuilt my original compressor. It leaked almost immediately. Bought a new aluminum compressor from them. It leaked after two seasons. Bought one of their Sanden A/C conversion kits. In order to install I had to replace one of the hoses, and had to do some fabrication since none of the supplied parts actually fit.

·
Registered
396 Posts
One thing I figured out is Original Air Group and Classic Auto Air guys represent as same company, but, do not talk to each other.
Evidence = parts in their retrofit would work much better if they just used the ones the Original Air Group already sells.
My installation ended up being a mix of Original Air parts (compressor mounting stuff) and the kit.
Still wondering if I should have used the condenser from the Origional Air parts, because the way the kit mounts is just un-nessessarily stupid. Works, but, why not just mount like the original or use the Upgrade origional part?

·
Registered
65 Convertible 289 2-v
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After digging a little deeper, I found about 6-7 OEM under-dash units on flea-bay with a range of conditions. So far, I still have yet to find anywhere or anyone else selling them.

I'm a bit confused with what I'm seeing. Some (most) have the hose connections on the driver side, one (a '66) had them on the top center, and one on the passenger side. Also, the '66 version looked like it may have had an extra wiring harness/connector in addition to the two wires the rest have. Not sure if it really matters which I get (if I were to go this route) as I'm assuming that whatever hoses are required to make the connection to the compressor are available.

I did like the '66 version as it had the same black facing that would match the instrument bezel and glove compartment door.

As an FYI, I contacted the Original Air Group and restoration services for an under dash unit STARTS at $1300. o_O So, I would be restoring it myself if I get one!

·
Registered
817 Posts
I just called Friday to order a new hose. Answered in about 5 min while on hold for first available person.
Might be a difference in response between their ordering line vs their customer service line. Or maybe they are less busy now that it is colder. Or maybe they just like you better than me lol

·
Registered
Original 1965 Mustang coupe, 289, c4, 2 barrel
20 Posts
Since I have my 65 289 vert torn apart for the build, I'm considering adding A/C and am looking for recommendations and/or opinions on what's available out there.

I've seen complete kits from Classic Auto Air, Old Air Products, and Vintage Air on the usual Mustang parts vendor sites These all look like good under dash options replicating the original look. The first two seem to be in the $1100-ish range, and Vintage Air is quite a bit higher. Any experience with these kits and opinions or recommendations for these or others?

I've also seen in old threads on this forum that folks were selling refurbished OEM units. However, I have not seen any recent listings nor have I found any such sellers on the inter-web. Any suggestions on going down this path?

I've also seen in old threads on this forum that folks were selling refurb OEM units. However, I have not seen any recent listings nor have I found any such sellers on the inter-web. Any suggestions on going down this path?

I had installed by vendor installer a Vintage Air unit; in dash unit that I have had about 8 months. It has done a good job in this Texas heat. The unit is out of the way and has 4 under dash vents, one near each door and one on each side of the console. My full length console required trimming on the part under dash, removal of about 3 inches of arc, invisible in car! My car, 1965 Mustang, C code, auto, has power steering, requiring a VA bracket for the Sandin A/C unit. This A/C unit utilizes the original non A/C in dash controls. I really like it a lot! Looks like factory installation.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The Classic Auto Air daily driver unit I purchased came with the v-belt compressor.
I will use that on a different project.

I called and was able to order the missing hard line (needed serial number of unit) and serpentine compressor and brackets for my accessory drive.
I have the foxbody setup.
Installed it March/April (still winter here) in non heated garage this year.
It was well worth the effort, especially the humid days.

Dwight at Classic Auto Air was very helpful even on follow up calls.
877-342-5526. x8023

·
Registered
276 Posts
Do all these units use the newer style 134A or do the refurbished factory systems still use R12? Wondering what you guys with factory air do. I have some factory air parts for my 73 and am wondering if its not worth trying to use them if they require R12 and can’t be modified to use the newer style refrigerant.

·
Registered
1966 GT Fastback, 289 EFI, T5z
571 Posts

Vintage Auto Air system in mine - pretty easy install, the entire heat / cool system is inside the car, makes use of the original in-dash controls, works fine, fairly unobtrusive.

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Steering part
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Grille
Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

1 - 20 of 31 Posts