Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Do all these units use the newer style 134A or do the refurbished factory systems still use R12?
I believe new units are 134A "out of the box". If you refurbish an old compressor, you can modify it for 134A or keep it R12.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I believe new units are 134A "out of the box". If you refurbish an old compressor, you can modify it for 134A or keep it R12.
Thanks for the information. My car had factory air and I still have all the parts but I didn’t want R12. So having the option to modify it for 134A has me possibly adding this as a future project.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Dwight at Classic Auto Air was very helpful even on follow up calls.
877-342-5526. x8023
It took me just a little bit to get Dwight to my way of thinking (Coyote swap) but once on track, he was very helpful. Since I was going with larger radiator, I decided to also go with larger condenser and he was super helpful in swapping them out.

·
Registered
396 Posts
When I discussed refurbing my old stuff, all the important stuff gets upgraded to 134a.
They have York for 134a too if you really wanted to look stock.
My personal decision was.... I did not trust the old fiberglass, so went with the new kit.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

·
Registered
1966 GT Fastback, 289 EFI, T5z
571 Posts
Nice setup.
What p/s pump are ya using?
The whole steering setup - rack, tie rods, pump, reservoir and lines - is a package from Total Control Products. The steering column is Ididit.

Here is the power steering pump pre-A/C:
Hood Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas Cable
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design

I fabbed up a bracket with spacers that supported the power steering pump from the top and the A/C compressor from the bottom using the same two long bolts into the aluminum head. By changing the thickness of the spacers, I was able to get the pulleys to align on the serpentine belt:
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just installed a Classic Auto 'Perfect Fit' system in dash '67. If you're not too inclined it may be difficult. Directions are a bit vague, with a lot of necessary instruction implied but not specified. It's a bit like putting together a puzzle without the picture on the box. Eventually it starts to come together. The vents are delicate, and one was broken out of the box. I called, and guy said come down and well give you another one. Me and bro walked in with the broken bit and met a very unengaging twenty something, who said "have a seat" and walked off. We sat there in the waiting area, where there's a full bar, beer on tap and a pool table. Me and bro looked at each other and both thought the same thing. Did we not spend enough money at this mfkr to get offered a beer and quick game of pool?

·
Registered
65 Convertible 289 2-v
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Question for everyone who has installed an aftermarket or OEM under dash unit...

I have a torsion/support bar that goes from the pedal assembly to the bottom of the dash below the glove box. Not sure if this is unique to the convertible, but has anyone had any issues with this support bar for fitment?

·
Registered
'66 Convertible 200/c4 Vintage Inline Headers with Arvinode Duals
291 Posts
Question for everyone who has installed an aftermarket or OEM under dash unit...

I have a torsion/support bar that goes from the pedal assembly to the bottom of the dash below the glove box. Not sure if this is unique to the convertible, but has anyone had any issues with this support bar for fitment?
I hared the install in our 66 vert but the factory under dash unit seems to fit with no problems. The rest of the system is all Vintage Air. It was installed by the nephew of the owner of VA.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts