Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought ACC carpets for my 65 fastback from Stock Interiors.

the first set the rear carpet does not fit the area around the fiberglass panels.
The old carpet that is ACC carpet from 1985 fits perfect in this area the new one is cut a different shape and leaves a 1" gap.
Sent these back with pictures and they sent another set. Same problem.
sent more pictures as they requested and returned the second set.
Now they said there is nothing wrong with them.
Is there any one else that makes carpets?
Have any of you had an issue with the fit?

ken

·
Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
655 Posts
KB65,
I purchased the thick/mass backed ACC carpet for my coupe from Stock Interiors as well. Terrible fit!
- If it wasnt for the fact I was near cutting it in half due to tunnel modifications and a custom center console I too would have returned it. My interior is not complete yet but regardless of me cutting it, it will still be a challenge to get it nicely tucked and flat in the rear and sides under the rocker panel covers. I wasn’t impressed at all.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had heard the massback was an issue. that is why i did not get it.

I don't think it would be too much trouble on a stock floor pan for a hard top. my issue is in the back around the fiberglass panels. on a fastback it is cut and bound to go around the panels.
new carpet is bound and too short.

ken

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If npd could guarantee the correct cut i would gladly buy from them. But they don't have any more influence with ACC than stock interiors.
already been there with distinctive industries.

ken

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
I had heard the massback was an issue. that is why i did not get it.

I don't think it would be too much trouble on a stock floor pan for a hard top. my issue is in the back around the fiberglass panels. on a fastback it is cut and bound to go around the panels.
new carpet is bound and too short.

ken
" I Cut it once, I cut it twice and it's still too short". Sorry to hear your issues. Needing a bound edge certainly has you stuck.

I just installed a 12-13 year old ACC kit in my coupe and it required some relief cuts at both sides of the front where the floor pan meets the seat risers and at the back where the floor pan rolls up to meet the back seat at both rocker panels.

·
Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
655 Posts
In your case the bound area didn’t fit the shape of your rear area. Mine didn’t remotely fit the front or rear floor profiles.
Forcing it only caused the sides to bunch up causing issues with fit/finish there - same issues you mentioned above 66coupe289.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
In your case the bound area didn’t fit the shape of your rear area. Mine didn’t remotely fit the front or rear floor profiles.
Forcing it only caused the sides to bunch up causing issues with fit/finish there - same issues you mentioned above 66coupe289.
I did a relief cut or two along the rocker panel on each side as I had some bunching along the rockers like you.

Each front seat riser required 3 relief cuts, one at the transmission tunnel and two near the rocker. I was careful to do the relief cuts at the front of the front seat riser such that the transmission tunnel cut and one about 5" from the rocker would be covered and held firmly buy the seat tracks (in addition to spray carpet adhesive). The third cut was right up against the rocker and such that the carpet cut was tight in the crack between the top fo the seat riser and the rocker. It was then cut at a 45 degree angle following the vertical path for the seat riser to rocker. The outer piece was then tucked under the straight cut, bound edge piece. All in all it came out okay, but no "drop in" installation for sure.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well here is the answer
ACC is the only game in town. they bought up all of there competition now they can sell you what ever junk they want.
My over 30 year old faded carpet fits better than the two sets they sent.
getting a full refund from stock interiors.
but that does not help my carpet installation.

Just like Scott Drake told me on other parts that did not fit no one complains we are not going to fix it

ken

·
Registered
42,163 Posts
The ACC carpet for my '66 2+2 fits damn near perfect. On the other hand, it's been sitting in the box on my shelf for 3 years.....

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Well here is the answer
ACC is the only game in town. they bought up all of there competition now they can sell you what ever junk they want.
My over 30 year old faded carpet fits better than the two sets they sent.
getting a full refund from stock interiors.
but that does not help my carpet installation.

Just like Scott Drake told me on other parts that did not fit no one complains we are not going to fix it

ken
Are there any automotive upholstery shops near you? They could probably do a custom bound piece for the back.

BTW, if anyone ever has custom carpet done, ask for nylon yarn carpet, solution dyed, NOT olefin and not yarn dyed. I was told by a carpet guy years ago that nylon will wear forever where olefin will "ugly out" fairly quickly. Solution dye goes in when the yarn is molten, so it goes all the way through the yarn and not just on the surface. Cliff Claven trivia fact of the day. :)

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
Man.
Call ACC directly and show/tell them what you're experiencing. I was impressed that I actually got to speak to some higher-ups when asking questions about a potential new product. They're quite accessible, and can maybe help you and many others with a better product for the very same amount of money.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Are there any automotive upholstery shops near you? They could probably do a custom bound piece for the back.

BTW, if anyone ever has custom carpet done, ask for nylon yarn carpet, solution dyed, NOT olefin and not yarn dyed. I was told by a carpet guy years ago that nylon will wear forever where olefin will "ugly out" fairly quickly. Solution dye goes in when the yarn is molten, so it goes all the way through the yarn and not just on the surface. Cliff Claven trivia fact of the day. :)
Bottle Sleeve Organism Font Sharing

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man.
Call ACC directly and show/tell them what you're experiencing. I was impressed that I actually got to speak to some higher-ups when asking questions about a potential new product. They're quite accessible, and can maybe help you and many others with a better product for the very same amount of money.
I have been dealing through stock interiors . sent them pictures then they requested more sent them
stock interiors agrees that they need to be fixed but the factory claims there is nothing wrong with them.

I had an issue with distinctive industries. they sent seat upholstery and folded the rear seat upper in half.
it left creases where it was folded. complained to NPD they had another seatback sent .
i requested that they roll it instead of fold it a year later i got the second seatback and it was folded. same creases.

ken

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
Skip the middle man.

Reactions: SWPruett

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Interesting thread. I replaced the carpet in my '66 Fastback about 6/7 years ago. I purchased ACC mass-backed carpet through NPD. The fit was spot on with having to do only minor trimming. Wonder what has changed with ACC in the past 6/7 years??

John

Motor vehicle Wood Grey Hood Bumper
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Flooring Vehicle door
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Light
Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
The only thing I'm aware of changing is they consolidated some stuff to a larger space. Their offices and facilities are about 2 hours from me, in my old hometown.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I called acc today they said i have to go through stock interiors
called stock interiors they had not sent the refund yet
they charged me for shipping and restocking and were going refund $148 out of the over $200 that i paid
they said they would send a set of coupe carpets( $162 ) for the $148 plus $30 shipping.
so that is where am at. I will trim that area of the coupe carpet to fit then see if i can find someone to finish the edge.

ken

1 - 20 of 20 Posts