Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was picking up an oil filter at the local Pe#$boy$ yesterday. I swear, I only looked at the cheasy trim items for a moment!! :)

I did come across an Accel points eliminator set #2020, for what seemed like a really good price! I have used the pertronix unit on another car and really liked it. I figured for $26, the Accel kit was worth a try.

It claims to work on "...57-74 Ford v8 engines w/ motorcraft single point distributers."

My only concern is will it work with my Mini-Tach purchased from "AussieMike". Mike's Tachs are supposed to work with the pertronix kit and the Accel seems to have a similiar configuration.

Anyone use this kit before? I can still take it back, if it turns out to be a POS.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mark,

You missed my write up a couple weeks ago on this install--it's here and may help. I can't say if the tach will work with it (and be accurate) but I've got this set up in my 70 Bronco and 67 Mustang--like 'em both. A good, cheap option.

Dan

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about getting the 'matching' Accel coil as well. Which one did you get??

UPDATE!!:

Got it installed. It took just about 20 minutes. The instructions were more of a PITA than they were worth. They were written for you to remove the entire distributor. No way!! It went in fine without removal.

Fired it up and it seems to be running well. I need to go get a new coil now. The old one has been on there since I bought the car back in '91.

What about the little grounding wire that used to connect to the points breaker. The Accel instructions did not say what to do with this.

I removed it. Seems to be ok so far.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I totally forgot--yes, the directions aren't the best and I skipped removing the whole distributor. I said the same thing, "no way," and it worked just fine.

In fact, I had a Mallory unit in my 70 Bronco that went bad a few years ago...I just dropped in the Accel unit (apparently the same exact unit, different name) and it's run fine ever since. No re-timing or anything.

I put in a MSD Blaster 2 unit to replace the stock coil. Just a few bucks more than the Accel, but no other particular reason. I like red better than yellow?

I would make sure you have a resistor unit in. I know some folks say that there should be a stock resistor wire going the ignition in some Mustangs, but I don't see how a resistor could hurt and is good insurance. See the photos in the earlier post.

Also, I've read many places that anytime you do electrical work (even disconnecting the battery) you should FIRST disconnect the three prong wires to the Accel unit. Any surge could kill it.

I've picked up a couple spares on Ebay for cheap and carry them with me just in case. But as I wrote earlier, it's been running strong in my Bronco for a few years.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mark wrote:
The instructions were more of a PITA than they were worth.
For anyone else doing this, probably the worst part of the instructions (besides the notion you have to take out the whole distributor) is the confusion about five screws they give you. There are two sizes. Which size does are they talking about? If you count how many times it calls for a particular screw, you can rule out which one the instructions refer to--there's something like two of one kind, three of another kind.)

Mark wrote: What about the little grounding wire that used to connect to the points breaker.
It doesn't appear needed. At least the instructions didn't reference it so I took it out. (I don't think it would fit if you tried to leave it in, but maybe I'm wrong.) I also seem to recall installing a ground wire somewhere else so it's "grounded" I believe.

Also, I don't think the unit would function if a ground was needed and not present. Perhaps my skewed logic, but true for other items in the car.

Dan

·
Registered
382 Posts
Of course, I find this thread AFTER the Pertronix is on it's way here lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts