Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, coming back to the fountain for more knowledge!

I have a 69 Coupe with a 302/C4. I have finally got her road ready and working out the last few kinks before summer hits. I am having a lot of trouble with the accelerator linkage. My pedal travels a good inch or two before the cable engages. The pedal travel feels very restricted, it's not smooth at all. I have to apply a lot of pressure to get the pedal to move and then when I do half the time the cable seems to engage and the pedal hits the floor and rev like crazy.

I have the replacement cable from CJ Pony as my car didn't have a cable at all when I got it. I feel like it's WAY to long for the car and that is contributing to my issues. I am half tempted to buy a used, original pedal and cable off Ebay and try that. My pedal assembly is from CJs too.

Any help would be much appreciated. This is literally the last thing keeping me from getting on the road!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Cable looks too long in that picture. How does it feel if you unhook it from the carb ?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
This cable from Jegs should work. You can pull the cable out and trim it. The E-Clip can be removed and the crimped fitting that's left will slide onto a stock pedal. If you have an original cable you can cut it and remove the plastic piece that snaps on the pedal. I found this part in a junkyard 1974 Lincoln. A small washer might also work. You might be able to transfer the square bushing for the bracket too. You might just need to transfer the new cable and carb end once you trim it to the right length. Whatever,there's a way to do it with this:
JEGS 157005: 24 in. Throttle Cable | JEGS

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys. Just to follow up, I grabbed a Spectre universal linkage bracket and ditched the stock one. Luckily this seems to have solved my problem. The pedal moves soooo much smoother now.

The pedal is now right above the floorboard. It’s a little lower then I like but I am able to push it smoothly and safely and it has full travel so I just get used to it!

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts