Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recently installed reman. 1 barrel carb stalls occasionally from a dead stop once I shift into gear(c4 auto). Revs just fine in park or neutral with no hesitation at all. I have a 6 banger on a 65 coupe. From reading previous posts it sounds like a accelerator pump but looking through the posts I cannot tell if this pump is adjustable, fixable or only replaceable. What do I do and where is the pump located? Most of the time it will run just fine but if I sit idling for more than 30 seconds or restart my car after sitting for only a few minutes, it will stall repeatedly for a few minutes then run just fine. Really need some serious answers before I stall out again and get rear-ended.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Does it die when you tap the gas or when you shift into gear with your foot on the brake? If it's the latter, I wouldn't suspect the accelerator pump. That only comes into play when you give it gas. If it's dieing by shifting into gear, I would check the idle. It should be around 700 rpm in park and 550 or so in drive with your foot on the brake. Make sure the car is at operating temp before doing this adjustment.

If it dies when you give it gas, you need to play with the accelerator pump linkage. There are several holes that it can be linked to. The accelerator pump is a one inch square diaphram on the driver's side of the carb body.

Good luck.

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif

·
Registered
390 Posts
Also check you idle mixture. The mixture screw is on the passenger side of the carb and the idle speed is on the driver side (I think). At least thats the setup for an autolite 1100. You set the mixture by ear - small adjustments until the engine runs smoothest.

67 coupe, I6/200, and a C4
http://home.att.net/~wr.moore/LeftRear1.jpg
Randy (Learning as I go)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts