Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where to find a throttle return spring for a '67 200?

Mine broke this evening, and it was probably original so I can't really complain since it's lasted this long. But I can't seem to find the replacement anywhere.

The '67 runs from under the carb to the front of the intake log (see page 10-17 of the shop manual for details) unlike the 65-66 that run to the exhaust flange.

The spring is about 9" long, and the closest thing I can find is this one NPD lists for a Shelby GT500 428PI which is about as far from the 200 as you can get.
https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/spring_accelerator_retracting_concours_correct-143680-0.html

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing and where these springs are all hiding?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't see it on their sites either, but that seems to be the way this search is going to go.

I thought this was going to be a nice easy fix. That engine's got to be in a ton of Falcons, Mustangs, Broncos and who knows what else, but apparently nobody uses the throttle on them.

If I don't find one online i'll see if NAPA or Ace Hardware have anything close.

·
Premium Member
6,185 Posts
I have a spring saved from my 68' I6 that is 9.75" long, the coiled section is 3.75" long and appears to be centered. The diameter of the coils is 3/8". If that sounds right just PM me and we'll figure how to get it to you. It's in nice shape, can email you a pic. Brad

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
If the 428 CJ spring, or even a Nova 350 spring will fit, USE IT. The throttle spring has NOTHING to do with engine size or horsepower, and EVERYTHING to do with your right foot.

Of course, there's Dorman 29006, 9" long.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NAPA had a universal throttle return spring kit for $5 sitting on the shelf, so I picked it up, found one that was close, and I'm back on the road.

I'm not sure I like the way it sits on the end I had to bend, so 4ocious I'll take you up on your offer for your original. But it's back together and running again.

That's disapointing to hear that the throttle spring doesn't help your horsepower. I was really hoping that if I had to add the 428 spring to my 200 that it might speed it up a bit. Oh well. The Comp Cams lifters, ARP head studs and K&N filter haven't sped it up any either. One day I'll find the magic part that makes a 200 go fast. :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The distance between my throttle linkage and the front of the intake log is right about 10-3/8". So a 9-3/4" spring is probably just right to be in tension without being too tight.
I'm not sure why mine was only 9" long, but maybe being stretched too tight was why it eventually broke. On mine the coiled section is right at the carb end, and it's only about 1-7/8" long too.
It's strange, but who knows what all has happened to these cars over the years that can lead to all the little differences?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to close this out, I got 4ocious' generously donated spring today and it popped right in like it was meant to be there.

So you can apparently get anything from 9-9.75" to fit as long as you can get it to hook on both ends. Bartl and 22GT are right as always. Find a spring that fits where you need it to go and is strong enough to pull the pedal back up and you're all set.

·
Premium Member
6,185 Posts
Just to close this out, I got 4ocious' generously donated spring today and it popped right in like it was meant to be there.

So you can apparently get anything from 9-9.75" to fit as long as you can get it to hook on both ends. Bartl and 22GT are right as always. Find a spring that fits where you need it to go and is strong enough to pull the pedal back up and you're all set.
Good to hear it works! :smile2:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've suspected that those 2 extra cylinders are the trick for a while now, but I keep trying new parts on the 200 anyway. Maybe one day I'll learn.

Thanks again for the spring.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts