Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
A few months ago I was shopping for an ACP radiator for the 302 in my '66 and emailed them a similar question.
-----------------
Besides the lower price, any reason to go with the 3-row over the 2-row?

The most important factor these days is the total amount of surface area that can transfer heat. Our 2 rows are about 8-10% cooler than our 3 row because of the really big tubes.
Our 65-66 radiator has the exact same brackets as the OE radiator. So, you will need those four little "Z" shaped brackets/spacers for your fan shroud, just like the OE had. Stock cap will work, but you can go up to 16lbs if you wanted to.

If you are just using the car as a daily driver, the 3 row may be beneficial during "idle" times. Because the coolant will not flow as fast through the 3 rows and thus allowing the heat to dissipate a little longer.
Also, please remember that our MaxCores are thicker than OE. So, just make sure to check for overall clearance and use a fan spacer if you need to. V8s should have plenty of room. The 6 cylinders are very tight.
2 row cooler 8 to 10% cooler than your 3 row but 3 row cooler better for daily driver - your spinning my head man..... Which would I use in a daily driver with AC AT PS 289 in Houston TX traffic. I'm not road racing, dragging just trying to drive the car and not have it sit me on the side of the road. :grin2:

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has installed an aluminum rad and clutch fan in their 65 or 66? I'll be using an ACP.
I run an ACP 2row with a clutch can and no shroud. No issues here in Arizona.

·
Registered
796 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
68Hidalgo thanks for the Hayden link. Just replaced my Modine that sprung a leak with a maxcool and noticed fan clutch is now 1/8 in from the radiator. The Modine which was replaced in the 80's was a stock replacement and is 2.25 in thick. The maxcool is 2.625 in.

·
Premium Member
4,966 Posts
I installed the low profile fan clutch last night. With a straight edge laid across the rad support I measured 3-5/8" to the edge of the fan clutch. The ACP rad is 3" thick, leaving me a clearance of only 5/8". Rad support was not disturbed during my rebuild. Hopefully this is enough clearance.

Before

After

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here is what I put into my Fastback after moving to Florida:
They came out with an electric fan made for them after I bought my radiator. I ended up buying the electric fan, just have not put it in the car yet. I have had only one time that my car even looked like it was going to boil over, we were doing a beach drive in July (very hot and humid!), and the traffic came to a halt... i watched my temp guage start to climb but before she got hot I spun around and went the other way. As soon as I started getting some flow she cooled right down. Never had anything like that since, and hope to never have it again. I do plan on putting the electric fan in the car though very soon, hopefully before this summer.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts