41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
The AC looks stock to me.
Do you have a cast iron crank pulley or a steel crank pulley? The belt grooves in the cast pulley start right at were the pulley mounts to the crank balancer. The later steel pulleys have an inch or more of space from the crank balancer to the point were the belt grooves start. I dealt with this 18 months ago on mine and still have nightmares. I don't have AC yet but was preparing for it by ditching the Eaton pump and cast crank pulley for the easier to find 65+ stuff. You may very well have to change the compressor clutch and idler pulleys to the 65+ stuff to get the correct offset.

I feel your pain.
https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/1144772-1965-pulley-predicament.html

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I have steel pulleys, I think I have all 65 under the hood, although there are 64.5 parts all over the rest of the car.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Eyeballing the engine picture, it appears you have the 1967 clutch on the compressor. It is thinner than the 1965 1966, so that is why it will "work" on a 2 groove pulley.

I have the correct parts for the PS set up, and AC set up if you want to call me sometime.

Bob 214.882.5709

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Eyeballing the engine picture, it appears you have the 1967 clutch on the compressor. It is thinner than the 1965 1966, so that is why it will "work" on a 2 groove pulley.

I have the correct parts for the PS set up, and AC set up if you want to call me sometime.

Bob 214.882.5709
Maybe what I have is a dealer add AC unit. Bob, you sold me the 3 pulleys and bracket, I havent done anything with them yet.

I also need to figure out which WP I will need. The car is due cooling system maintenance and the heater core just gave up so I may as well tackle it all at once.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Maybe what I have is a dealer add AC unit. Bob, you sold me the 3 pulleys and bracket, I havent done anything with them yet.

I also need to figure out which WP I will need. The car is due cooling system maintenance and the heater core just gave up so I may as well tackle it all at once.
That's a great idea. I did a white vinegar flush (HOLY COW that worked GREAT), a new heater core, a new radiator, a new water pump and thermostat, new hoses and clamps, and Final Charge coolant with no nitrites or silicates. Once I finally got all the air out of the system, it cools great so far here in the Alabama heat. Drove it two hours at 70+ to get where I am today.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts