Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know my T5 has the backup switch but my car doesn't currently have backup lights. I would like to add them if it isn't too difficult. Can someone who has done it point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
I went through this when I added back up lights and later the T5z. As noted, you need the harness. Assume you already have the lights installed?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I hoped it would be that simple. I was thinking it should be switched power instead of constant though. I don't guess it really matters does it?
you want a power source that's hot only when key is on, it then is switched via your trans switch when you row to reverse.. if you use a constant power, your bu lights will be on when you park and leave it in reverse- such as when on a hill

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
you want a power source that's hot only when key is on, it then is switched via your trans switch when you row to reverse.. if you use a constant power, your bu lights will be on when you park and leave it in reverse- such as when on a hill
Correct, I miss spoke The factory used a black/red wire from the fuse box that goes to a 3 way yellow plug it is listed as wire 140 in the Jim Osborn wiring diagram manual

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I knew which connection on the T5 was the backup light circuit but I guess I dont. There is a plug on the driver's side of the transmission and it looks like there is one on top near the shifter. I am guessing it is the one near the shifter?.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
This is a pic of my T5 before the install. The "2-Pin" plug, shown on the left is the back-up light socket.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bac-up light help

attached from an original nos 1965 back-up light kit.

Bob
hello bob, could you please send me the pfd or jpeg files for the original nos 1965 back-up light kit. I have a 64.5 that need to have the lights installed and i want to get the wires in the right place.
Tnx,
rich frankenfield

·
Registered
34,300 Posts
I hoped it would be that simple. I was thinking it should be switched power instead of constant though. I don't guess it really matters does it?
Well, since it is recommended to park your vehicle in reverse a constant power source might not be best. LOL.

Since back-up lights were optional, your harness MAY have the necessary BLK/RED wires in the harness, adjacent to the wires to the NSS (or its jumper). If not, under the dash you should have a "triple tap" female bullet connector possibly in BLK/GRN from which you can run power to your T-5's backup light switch and then from the switch back into the passenger compartment and to the rear. If I were wiring from scratch, I'd use the "divot" immediately to the rear of the shifter hole to drill a 3/8" hole for a grommet and run the 2 wires through it, up the top of the tunnel under secure tape to under the dash, and the wire to the rear lamps over to the left kick panel and with the rest of the rear lamp wiring to the back, then through the OE location and grommet to the lamps.

·
Dimples
3,756 Posts
Silly question, but why add back up lights? You rarely need them and they don’t do all that much. I deleted mine because I thought it looked cleaner and I’ve never missed them.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I recently added backup lights to the 65 I am working on. I replaced the tail light harness since it was pretty cruddy, and used the one with the backup light wiring already there. Since it was a toploader I was able to use the original style switch and wiring from the dash to the switch. This should be easy to adapt to the T5. Under the dash the connections were available, but the plugs didn’t match the new tail light harness, so I just made an adapter harness to mate up the connections. Overall it was quite easy.

Essentially switched power to the trans, then it runs back to the dash where it connects to the tail light harness. I can provide pics and part numbers if needed.

As for Blake’s question. Switch to hi grade LEDs and they work fantastic. Look up Kelly’s thread on the subject.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Silly question, but why add back up lights? You rarely need them and they don’t do all that much. I deleted mine because I thought it looked cleaner and I’ve never missed them.

I actually think they work fairly well even with original bulbs, at least as well as most vehicles anyway. That is probably due to the fact that they are mounted lower to the ground. I do agree though that some cars do look a bit more clean, and I do often favor the simplified look. It just depends on what the car is used for. If it is driven often I think I favor the reverse lights. They do help avoid unwanted rear end damage and also let other drivers, provided they are paying attention, know that you are backing out of a parking place or driveway into the road. Otherwise they would be oblivious to the fact that the car was not intending to remain stationary.

·
Dimples
3,756 Posts
Great answers gents. I guess my question was mainly around the fact that I can’t remember the last time I was backing up and couldn’t see behind me at night just due to ambient light, but the signaling to others is a very good point.

·
Registered
463 Posts
RICHFKFD42 - I tried to send you a PM with my email address, but received a message that "you have either elected not to, or cannot, receive PM's. However, the images I posted are jpegs, and if you open them one at a time, right click on each, and "save image" to your computer, you can then open each and print it.

Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts