Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add emergency flashers to my 65 FB. I thought somoene made a kit that came with the stock 66 type switch. I know you need some additional wires and possible a second flasher can. (Someone rigged this same thing up in my 64 1/2. Does anyone know who sells the kit to add falshers?

Thanks,
Kory

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
National Parts Depot has the item in their catalog, but it is not presently being produced. Hopefully, Scott from NPD will chime in on this one and fill us in on why it is not being produced. Seems like there is a market for it. I would buy one.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12409371&p=45488890.jpg

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can still buy the switch and plate, but what else do you need? Do you need a 2nd flasher pod and a wire harness? I haven't delved into my 64 1/2 yet, becuase someone rigged it up in it in the past...anyone added Flashers to a 65' out there?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
At one time Ford had offered a harness and switch with a connector for the flasher can. I bought one for my dad's '65 coupe and another for his '65 Ford Ranch Wagon (same harness). It just plugs right inbetween the wiring in the steering column and taps into the cigarette ligher's power.

If you can find a '66 Mustang or any other Ford in the mid - '60s you can strip the E-flasher wiring from the main harness and plug it into your vehicle. The only "gotcha" is I can't remember if the '64.5 steering cloumn wiring connectors are different. I vaguely recall they are. Do you have a squarish rubberized connector and a smaller rectangular plastic connector? That's what the '65/'66s have.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
759 Posts
I pulled the wiring harness from a wrecked 66. It is a direct plug in. I think you can still buy the wiring harness, just check your catalogs. The flasher plugs into the harness near the switch.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
There is a wiring harness that ties into the turn signal / steering column harness disconnect as well as the additional flasher. The NPD kit included this, but unfortunately, we are SOL., because it is not available.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12409371&p=45488890.jpg

·
Registered
408 Posts
'66's built before 3/1/66 had the switch and wiring that could be used to convert 65-66's over. The part was available from Ford until last year when Ford obsoleted all "nonfunctional" parts. The remaining switch for cars from 3/1/66 is currently available but those cars had the wiring integral with the main harness. I have sent a note to a company that manufacturers wiring. We'll see if a harness can be made to retro fit the late 66 switch. Only problem with this idea is how long will Ford keep that switch in the books?!

Scott
National Parts Depot
1965 Conv:Street driven concours
1966 Coupe: Daily driver and toy

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info Scott. I just called a local Mustang used parts guy here in Maryland who is around the corner from my office - the guy with the old shop stuffed to the rafters with parted out car parts....he has the harness you are talking about. $25.00 and ill have what I need to add the flashers..he said he has never done it, but he has the wireing harness I want...so well see what happens. I'll still look for your answer if the wiring company makes one...obvisouly if a nice new one is just as cheap..id buy the new one.
Kory

1 - 8 of 8 Posts