Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a '68 Stang that came from the factory with headrests. Was wondering if anyone knew how hard it is to add the factory headrests.

Tia,
Mike

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
You mean the head rests are missing the seats or the seats are not set up for headreasts or ?? I have headrests on my 68 but -ssssshh don't tell anyone-my seats are out of a 69. I don't think the standard garden variety 68 seats are retrofitable to accomodate headrests as an add on.

J. Boggs

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In '68 an option was to have headrests. The prob. are the same headrests that the '69 seats had b4 they went to highbacks...
The seats are there! However, no headrests....was wondering if they can be added. I mean they were added at the factory somehow so they should be able to be added when redoing seats or just plain add them? Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I have a set of 68 seats that came off the car and the 69 seats installed. The seats are virtually identical except the 69 seats have headrests on them. The 69 seat back has a recepticle inside that accepts the headreast-can't remember is it's adjustable or not. I suppose you could re-trofit a 68 seat to accept a headrest-assuming you could find a headrest-but it would be hard to do in my opinion.

Take me to lunch and I'll show you the seats.

J. Boggs

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't I buy last time!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
When I get my new classic in the next few wks we'll grab lunch. I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 cars (there just doesn't seem to be many great candidates out there....either cars for sale are not in the condition I want or the ones in good condition are just way too expensive..)...but the 2 potential ones are a '68 pres. blue 'Vert with brown deluxe interior (it had parchment from the factory...I'd change that back someday, 4spd J code car with all GT appointments but I don't think a true GT car, Shelby 10 spokes, this is the car that is missing the headrests...
Other one is a '68 GT 390 coupe, highland green with parchment vinyl top.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts