Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know the saying is backwards, but that's the truth. Yesterday, while going over my judging sheets from Pensacola I crawled under my coupe to check it out. I was utterly shocked to see the damage that resulted from the trip. The second to last day on the way home we were in a rainstorm the entire day, and the last day it was a major dust storm the whole way (30+ mph winds). The exhaust pipe section along the driveshaft is rusted along the top side for almost its entire length. There was absolutely NO RUST there at the show. The moisture also rusted other areas underneath that were clean before. To top it off, I have mud caked underneath in the nooks and crannies where the car was wet and the dirt blew in. What a mess! Murphy is scheduled to be torn down, apart, and every which way starting this weekend. It will be a ground up restoration for the first time in the car's history. We plan to finish in time to take the car to the Albuquerque show over Memorial Day weekend where we will have a top level gold card judge scrutinize our work. That way, we still have time to correct any problems before the Grand National. Wish us luck!

I love it when a plan comes together!

[color:red]1968 Coupe, "Murphy" - Original (car and owner)</font color=red>
[color:blue]1968 Fastback, "Trouble" - Restomod</font color=blue>
[color:white]1967-1968 MCA Certified Judge</font color=white>

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I know what you are going thru. Used to drive my Cal Special from Vancouver BC to shows in Santa Barbara, LA and even went to the Great Pumpkin several times. Had the same problem several times, rains a lot in Oregon n I5, just requires constant cleaning. I found by putting silicon oil on natural parts as well as the exhaust system really helped.

68 GT500
68 1/2 CJ Coupe

MCA# 18519

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The things you are describing are exactly why I admire those of you who show concourse cars, and repell me away from doing anything like it. Either way, my hat's off to you Laurie!

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571656&a=12306481&p=42935059&Sequence=2.jpg

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, I remember your car at the Great Pumpkin! It was a white GTCS, wasn't it? I always wondered how you could keep that car so great looking, yet drive it all that way. Now I know, lots and lots of work and TLC. *G*

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it does keep me out of trouble. Unfortunately, it will also keep me out of Trouble for awhile, too. I'm going to put together a new web page to show what we do to the coupe.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I know what you mean. I'm in need of a good detailing after my drive to Pensacola. Plenty of bugs and stuff to pick out of the girll. I should pull the carpet up in the front so that the rain doesn't start to rust--too later probably.

By the way, did you lose points for a square base on the antenna? Mine is square also and I wondered if it was correct.

Thanks.

J. Boggs

G

·
0 Posts
Good luck on the job. My hat's off to you, you have quite a job to do. I guess that is the price we pay to enjoy the road as well as the garage and shows.
Dan

every man must have a toy
98 Dodge Ram (mobile tool box)
97 Grand Cherokee (family hauler)
66 Coupe 289/c-4 (The Other Woman)

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
I think you better set aside some money for a closed trailer, instead of the open one you now have. Better yet, when Chuck's GT/CS gets retired, you can use his trailer.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I'm impressed. But then you know what they say about people that can remember that far back. White, black vinyl roof, red interior, 289 auto, that was my Cal special. The part I enjoyed about those trips was driving the car and the great people I meet at these various shows. And yes, I arrived two days before the shows and worked. I sure miss it, will have to buy another 68 small block and get back to it. Now if the Company just comes up with a retirment offer I can do it.

68 GT500
68 1/2 CJ Coupe

MCA# 18519

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ohhhh, that's a loaded question! That's where all my troubles started with the judges who basically implied that I was a dumb broad who somebody had fooled with the wrong antenna. Mine is the rectangular base and it is original to the car. They took off one point after insulting me.

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I know, that's what I need, but we just fixed my trailer up so neat. I guess it's time to start buying lottery tickets. *G*

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, a car that comes that far, is driven, and then wins First Place in a concours class kind of sticks in your mind. *G* I was president of the club at that time and very involved in running the show. When you're ready for another long trip keep our (Old Pueblo Mustang Club) Mustang Mania show in mind. Next year it will be the weekend April 5-7, in Tucson.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Keep that dirty little coupe away from us, we don't need no stinkin dirt.......*LOL*

'59 T-Bird..[color:blue]'70 Mustang Convert</font color=blue>...[color:green]'72 Mach One</font color=green>
http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/t-bird.jpg
The Black Bird At 42,she's the oldest in my Ford stable

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, watch out, kids aren't the only ones I kick!

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Bet mines original too..funny thing when I bought my 68 I showed it to an MCA judge that restores for a living (names left out to protect the guilty) and the first thing he said was the antenna was wrong. Bet not.

J. Boggs

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been trying to gather data on the 68 rectangular base antennas. What factory is your car from and when was it built? So far, I have found on the Forum that Dearborn used rectangular base on both early and late 68s. There are some judges who are aware that it was a transitional change, but it seems to be much more prevalent in the Dearborn cars, like mine. I have found the part number for the rectangular 68 antennas and am about to start going through old home movies to find a shot of my car (couldn't find a photo of the front). If I can get a strong enough data base I'm going to petition MCA to change the judging rules at the next opportunity.

G

·
0 Posts
Good luck on the restoration! Hope Murphy feels better! I gotta start working on my rust problem too or one day while i am driving the rust floor will fall out from under me and i will be added to the road kill on the pavement!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts