Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adding power steering to our 69 Mach1. Are there any steps to take for install sequences? Do I hook all the hoses up to control valve and cylinder before mounting etc. Any help and guidance is appreciated. Also what about hoses, where do most of you buy them that will fit, not leak since there are no new Ford hoses readily available. Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
No particular order for hooking up the hoses, other than it's easier to hook up the high and low pressure hoses to the pump before completely installing the pump.

The other hoses, I just usually go at the hardest to get to first, and the easiest to get to last.

After you have it all hooked up and fluid added, jack the front end off the ground and keeping your hands way away from the steering wheel, start the car. You keep the hands away, because if you cross the lines, the steering wheel will SLAM to one side or the other. After that, just turn the wheels lock-to-lock 15-20 times to bleed the system.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
keep your hands away from the wheel when you start the car as Johnpro said....I put mine on backwards and it really flies!
R

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The short hoses were so stiff that I had to take the cylinder loose to get them started. Once the threads were started I reinstalled the cylinder and then tightened the hoses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts