Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Can anyone descrie the easiest way to add Shelby taillights to a 67 Fastack? Is it neccesary to remove the entire taillight panel and weld in the shelby panel? Do actual shelby tails have to be used, or can lights from a 67-8 Mercury Cougar be used (are they exactly the same?) Did the Shebys have the sequential turn signal tails like the cougar? Thanks,

Brandon

Looking for fastback, project/light project car. I live in Columbia, Maryland.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
It's easy in a sense, but it can become expensive.

Firstly, the entire panel currently into your Mustang needs to be removed, and the Shelby unit welded into place (might need some boltings also) I'm not sure if you'll have to modify the quarter panel trim at all. I'm also not sure of the wiring necessary, since yes, the Shelby taillights do light up sequentially. However, they are not the same as the Cougar's, and in all honesty, the Cougar's bezels would look ridiculous on a Mustang.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
A Shelby tail light panel can be added without replacing the rear metal panel. You will have to drill 6 holes in it to allow for the depth of the 6 tail light sockets. On my 68 the fiberglass panel bolts on with the lights installed. You should also install the six metal plates that go in the tail light holes. The sequential flashers are available from several sources. Done right, will cost $400 - 500 for parts.

[color:blue]68 GT500</font color=blue>
[color:green]68 1/2 CJ Coupe</font color=green>

MCA# 18519

·
4,129 Posts
Also since you mentioned the Cougar tail light assembly the 67 Shelby tail are the ones that you want? In 68 they used the tail light assembly from a 65 t-bird. Its been so long that I do not remember if the back panel was cut for the tail lights with the fiberglass piece fitting over the top. If I still had the 67 GT500 or the 68 GT/CS I would go out in the garage and look but alas they are gone. fd

1967 GT coupe been in my garage since 1974
1993 Ranger ExtCab 4.0L daily driver
1996 Aerostar wifes ride
Those that know it all are willing to learn something new, those that think that they know it all don't know anything.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Now, the story goes like this: The metal tail light panel is the same between the Mustang and Shelby. The Shelby folks wanted to do it earlier, but finally by year 3 they found a guy with a good pair of tin snips to cut long rectangular holes in the Mustang tail light panel for better ventilation, but then the tail lights fell out. They picked up some Cougar lights and fitted them, but Carroll came out and said the whole thing looked like some panty-waist's parlor, so they replaced the Cougar bezels with some aluminum that went just around the outside of the light. Now that was better, but ol' Shel gave them the evil eye about the guy's tin snip work, saying it looked too much like a Chevy, so they covered the artists work with a fiberglass piece of trim. They had the guy with the tin snips on a 4 year contract, so they had to do all the rest the same way.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The 67 Shelbys had special tail light frames that were pop-riveted to the Mustang back panel. The Cougar frames were ditched and special aluminum frames were used. 67 Shelby blinkers were NOT sequential.

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
View Album Here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1616948&a=12352157

1 - 6 of 6 Posts