Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
door has to be adjusted.

Is there any 'trick' or 'wrench' to get bolts loose to adjust door withOUT having to take that fender off?

Thanks,

(68 if it makes a difference.)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I've never tried it and my car is in pieces right now, but I don't think it will be easy.

Possibly a 1/4" socket extension to fit through the gap or no extension and reach around the hinge when the door is open.

Tape the door edge because you're likely to scratch it.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
No real trick. IIRC you'll have to open the door all the way to get to some of the bolts from the outside; other you get from the jam area. Watch that you don't chip the paint on the leading edge of the door. Use a long extension on a ratchet. I use a floor jack to support the door...makes it easir to hold the weight of the door.
Dave

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the ones I need to adjust are the ones in the fender area. I should have said that first.

thanks

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Snap on used to make a door hinge bolt wrench - it is 1/2" boxed end "S" shaped wrench, with the correct angle offset (37 degrees or so) to reach the bolts without removing the fenders.
You might be able to use a half-moon wrench.

Snap on has discontinued that door hinge bolt wrench, and I don't think anybody else makes one right now. I picked one up on eBay - they are not real cheap - I think they were $60 or so new from Snap on.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You can do it, but your hands will be hurtin when your done. You can sneak a really small socket rench in there. Helps to have someone else to help you move and support the door while your hands are in there. Be careful you dont pinch off a finger!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I bought my best one from snap on. I have a good assortment of s shaped wrenches that get to every obstructed bolt on a car. Search obstruction wrench or hinge wrench on ebay. It's easy with the right tool.

Doug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts